hf1

What is best way to add absorbency to BGs please?

My avatar
viki83viki
Clothie
Clothie

What is best way to add absorbency to BGs please?

Postby viki83viki » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:24 pm

So, having spent 6 months totally in love with my BG v4s they are now leaking after roughly an hour. :-( This change happened within the space of about 3 days. I have rinsed them several times over with no detergent to make sure there is no detergent buildup, but still, leaks, leaks, leaks.

I have bought 2 bamboo inserts from ebay to try so hope that will solve it. I have also seen on here that people recommend hemp - which is best, before I buy any more? Also, should I just write off the MF inserts, or use MF + a hemp/bamboo booster?

And where do you get your boosters from? I don't always trust that on ebay things are what they say they are - the bamboo boosters seem really thin, but are quite heavy! Does that sound right?

So many questions!

I have spent a fortune on BGs, and would be heartbroken if I can't solve this and have to give up using them! Please help!

Thanks, Viki.

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: What is best way to add absorbency to BGs please?

Postby anothersquish » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:28 pm

Grab some little lamb bamboo boosters and some Easy Peasy hemp boosters and add one or the other under the microfibre. The little lamb boosters are £10 for 12 on ebay so work out economical.
Is the leg elastic still ok? BGs are notorious for having leg elastic that gives after a short amount of time.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:29 pm

If you have build up you will need to strip wash them, rinsing won't be enough.
Hemp is more absorbent than bamboo, we used both in pocket nappies, bamboo on top of hemp, (easy peasy hemp and Petite dessous bamboo) didn't bother with microfibre on top, also try re-sealing the nappies, sometimes they start to leak around the legs if the pul has small holes often round the stitching, do this my giving them a whizz in the dryer on hot for 10 mins x

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:29 pm

I really rate Little Lamb boosters:

http://www.fill-your-pants.com/inserts- ... sters.html

they're really absorbent and quite slim so don't add bulk. Are the inserts saturated when you take them off? If they are then the boosters should help if they aren't then it might still be a detergent built up.

My avatar
queen bee
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby queen bee » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:32 pm

I also used a little lambs bamboo booster and an easy peasy hemp booster together in my bumgenius.

My avatar
viki83viki
Clothie
Clothie

Postby viki83viki » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:33 pm

Cool, will look into all of this....

was just reading what you were saying about the tumble Kirsty. We don't have one, but my Mum does (lives 2 hours away). When we go we always take the nappies and the number of times she has put them in the tumble to then have me run out flapping my arms! I thought you couldnt do it!

What is the best way of stripping please? When I googled it said about Liquid Dawn, but this is an american thing isnt it?

xx

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:39 pm

easiest way to stip is to do a cold rinse then a full load of washing powder on a 60 wash then rinse multiple times until there are no bubbles left.

As for tumble drying, normally you shouldnt tumble dry the outers but if there is a PUL leak a very short tumble can help reseal.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:55 pm

anothersquish wrote:easiest way to stip is to do a cold rinse then a full load of washing powder on a 60 wash then rinse multiple times until there are no bubbles left.

As for tumble drying, normally you shouldnt tumble dry the outers but if there is a PUL leak a very short tumble can help reseal.

WSS or I used soda crystals to strip mine, they are found in the laundry section of supermarkets x

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:11 pm

anothersquish wrote:easiest way to stip is to do a cold rinse then a full load of washing powder on a 60 wash then rinse multiple times until there are no bubbles left.

Sorry hun but doesn't the full dose of washing powder (bio is better by the way) go in the cold wash? then it's a 60 wash with no powder & rinse, rinse, rinse.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23823

I also just wanted to agree with everyone about the little lamb bamboo boosters (go for the size 2 btw) & the easy peasy hemp. If you still have absorbancy issues with those, I would then invest in some petit dessous bamboo double inserts & ditch the microfibre like Kirsty suggested.

BTW are the inserts sopping wet when the nappies are leaking? Could it be coming out the side because then it would be a pul issue?

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies