hf1

Moving on (at 18mo) from Bambino Mios. to Flip possibly?

My avatar
SJ16
Clothie
Clothie

Moving on (at 18mo) from Bambino Mios. to Flip possibly?

Postby SJ16 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:26 pm

Hello all!

I have twin girls who we've had in washables since birth. They were in bimbles until about 5 months (born at 4lb!), and I have used Bambino Mios since then. The girls are now 18 months and are outgrowing their Large BM wraps. The girls will now undo the velcro if I leave them in just their nappies. E managed to undo hers by sticking her hands down her dungarees the other day, and I gound her at baby gym with a (thankfully clean!!) nappy hanging down her trouseres!! :shock:

Soooooooo the cheapest option is obviously to just buy the next size Bambino Mio wraps which will take them to potty training....

However, my friend visited the other day with her newborn in a BG Flip and it looked fab! So my questions are:
1. Is it a total waste of money to buy BTP wraps for 18 month olds??!
2. Could I use my Size 2 Bambino Mio prefolds in the Flip wrap?
3. Are the cotton inserts far superior to the Stay-Dry?
4. Do the diposable inserts last as long as a disposable nappy, or do they need changing more often (I currently use disposables at night and on holiday....)

Any other suggestions?! Is there another poppered wrap which would fit over the bambino mio size 2 inserts?

Thank you!!

PS. Thinking of buying a couple of second hand Flip wraps to try them out......

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Moving on (at 18mo) from Bambino Mios. to Flip possibly?

Postby Asta » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:41 pm

You can buy Flip wraps seperately and no I don't think they'd be a waste of money, you can sell them on easier than BM as well.

Yes you could use the BM prefolds in the Flip

The cotton inserts are more absorbent that the stay dry but obviously don't have the built in stay dry layer.

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:50 pm

No its not a waste of money, Flips are easy to sell whereas Mios are very difficult.
Yes you can use your Mio prefolds in the Flip outers if they workwellforyou.
The cotton inserts are FAR better and far more absorbent than the stay dry, you may wish to add a fleece/minkee liner but many people dont and its not a requirement.
The disposable flip inserts are IMO not very good, they need to be changed very regularly and are more an emergency thing.
There are plenty of wraps that should fit over them...blueberry coveralls, Gen-Y and the large WN wraps would too.

My avatar
Mumof5
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Mumof5 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:56 pm

I love flips! And when your twins are PTed, you can sell them on to me! :giggle:

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:40 pm

I use flip wraps and mio prefolds.
I use socks to keep them folded a bit trimer but that is just personal preference.
Just the wraps aren't that much different in price and you could get a couple pre loved to see how you get on.
But as someone else said you can fit other wraps over I have used WN, TB and thirsties. Though like I said I use socks so I don't know how they fit without.

My avatar
SJ16
Clothie
Clothie

Postby SJ16 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks all! Glad to know you don't all think I'm mad for switching to these at such a late stage! That is a good point about reselling them afterwards. Right, I am going to buy a couple of preloved to try out!

PS. Socks??! :shock: You can tell I'm not a pro... off to google! Something else to spend money on :wink:

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:56 pm

:hohoho:
Hold your horses I bought a couple at about £4.00 a throw ans thought these are great I don't need liners they give a stay sry feeling. They stay nice and folded in the nappy bag and no more manny's moaning that they can't remember how to fold them :lol:
However I bought a meter of Microfleece and made about 10 from that for £9 so total bargain. If you are interested I'll try and sort of the pattern I used. But we are talking super simple.

My avatar
SJ16
Clothie
Clothie

Postby SJ16 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:05 pm

That's a good idea! To be honest, I've used bambino prefolds for 1 year without socks - you don't know you're missing something until someone tells you it exists :lol: I prefold them in pairs before going out and slip them in a nappy bag before putting in my change bag. Would help the grandparents though, they always seem to end up unfolding when they try to put them on!!

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:21 pm

I started on mio's about 26 months ago. I bought a birth to potty kit however I stopes using the wraps for exactly the same reason you stated but at about 9mths I use could get him to keep them on for more than 10mins and then he got into a dirty nappy one day after his nap :puke:
I am the queen of gadgets it's a running joke with my friends.
Anyway if you want the sock pattern let me know it literally took me one evening to make them all.

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies