Heavy Wetter - please help

My avatar
moonfruit
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Heavy Wetter - please help

Postby moonfruit » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:31 am

Hi

My daughter has become an extremely heavy wetter, and her pockets aren't coping at all. This is fine when we are at home, we just use 2 parters with a wool wrap. Can anyone suggest a pocket that is more absorbant (she can outwet 2 hemp boosters in an hour) for when we are out or Daddy has her?

Thanks Lisa

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Heavy Wetter - please help

Postby eviesmummy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:46 pm

My all time favourite pocket was the Greenkids Anytimes (not the funtimes as these wick) with their bamboo insert and bamboo booster. It was so reliable I used it as my night nappy until Evie outgrew them in the rise (but then she is very long) and I suppose they would still have fitted as day nappies had I kept them. The Swaddlebees Econappy is also great, no wicking at all and Im using a mf insert on top of the hemp insert that comes with the nappy, lasting a good 3-4 hours on a moderate to heavy wetter.

You could always change the inserts or add something else to the pockets you have - my combo for practically all of my pocket nappies is a cotton babies mf insert, with one or two hemp inserts underneath. If your dd is outwetting this combo, then perhaps look into bamboo insert? The Greenkids ones are great, but not sure if its easy to get them without the nappy, another option is the bamboo or hemp inserts for the weenotions night notions which are great absorbancy, but would be a bit bulkier in your pockets.

Sadie xx

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:50 pm

Sadie has given a fab answer there.

I use a BG MF insert + an Easy Peasy hemp insert in all our pockets. If she's had a lot to drink, we either make a note to change more quickly or add another hemp insert.

Bamboo is another option to try instead of the MF. Our most successful insert is a WN fold over, with one side hemp and one side bamboo.

Good luck.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:52 am

Wee notions also do some wonderful inserts - you can get bamboo and hemp combos, which will soak up a lot.

My avatar
Jamling
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Jamling » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:09 am

I would second the Wee Notions insert recommendation. I've started using the trifold bamboo one that I got with a Night Notion and it's really absorbent. They also do a trifold with 3 layers in it so 9 layers when folded which I've ordered too. (spot the WN addict :lol: )

The Bigger Weed hemp inserts are good too pretty long but they fit in the Mommy Touch pockets no problem. Jamie was always a heavy wetter but since being introduced to diluting juice turned into a mega heavy wetter. I'm trying him this week with water and milk only to see if that makes any difference as a few folk have said it made a difference with their heavy wetters.

HTH

Nikki

My avatar
mythreelittlemice
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mythreelittlemice » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:51 pm

My youngest, just turned 2, is also an incredibly heavy wetter and has days when she seems to out wee everything! I would definately recommend pockets with a fleece outer as it gives an extra protective layer to the nappy. I also second triple fold inserts (although I haven't tried a WN one but they must all be pretty much the same lol). These are especially good if you put an extra insert in the middle and I LOVE hemp fleece for absorbency.

Fi x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:05 pm

Hmmm - I'm not really sure anything short of a slinki minki or standard minki is suitable for a heavy wetter and they can be quite bulky (we use them for nights)

Fleece outer pockets can also be quite bulky but don't wick...

I would definately go for hemp fleece topped with bamboo as a good combo...

And I'd avoid juice too - if I gave Isabelle juice she'd never be off the potty :lol: she'd just keep drinking it!! Just water and milk for us :)

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies