hf1

Not having a good time with cloth at the mo!

My avatar
Robins_Mummy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Not having a good time with cloth at the mo!

Postby Robins_Mummy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:43 pm

Just don't seem to be doing it 'right' at the mo! :doh: I strip-washed (rinse until no bubbles left method) as we were getting huge leaks, and a PUL outer got washed in with it all, and that delaminated (should that happen!?). I bought Little Lambs bamboo boosters to up the absorbency, as my boy is a big pee-er. This solved the huge-leaks mostly, but now it just feels like we're losing the *knack* to use cloth: I can't get them snug round his thighs anymore, not really any of them, and we use all different types! I think maybe because of adding the bamboo boosters to them, it's making them too 'fat' to fit snuggly on him. And one seems to be delaminated in just one little patch of the PUL :-?
I feel so stressed by it all, nappies are such a small part of parenting, and I really need them to run smoothly. I thought we were sorted and in a routine with them, but it just seems like it's all tumbling down a bit now, and I keep yearning to just go back to sposies :oops:

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Not having a good time with cloth at the mo!

Postby justme123 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:30 pm

:hug: it is such a small part of parenting and totally not worth getting stressed over :hug:

Why dont you just have a bit of a sposie "break"? Buy one pack and see how you get on. You'll probably be dying to get back to your lovely fluffy squishy cloth :-)

Now let's see if we can sort the issues. What kind of nappies are you using? What inserts? (apart from the bamboo boosters).

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby mummy_goose1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:04 pm

Oh hunny :hug: :hug:
We had a similar issue a while back... Take a deep breath ,and if u need a sposie break, take it!
Has your lo changed shape at all? I found that dd increased to mega wetter and also changed her shape, so it was a bit of a trying time...!
:hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Robins_Mummy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Robins_Mummy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:16 pm

Thanks ladies! :hug:

I'm using pockets and a few AIOs, all sorts really: blueberry/BG/totsbots/close-parent/baba and boo/flips. I use MF inserts with the LL boosters.
And I think he has changed shape - he's longer now.

My avatar
sophie2198
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby sophie2198 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:28 pm

I would recommend changing your insert combination to hemp on the bottom and bamboo on the top. If you have a heavy wetter then mf with bamboo id probably a big factor in leaks , mf is like a sponge - once full it squeezes back out again :wink:

Also you are using alot of different brands and if none of them in particular ate working I think you need to look into others....have you tried easyfits? (totsbots) were only in NN now but these seem very popular right now.

Why don't you take a sposie break , sort out some new inserts and maybe a few different brands of nappies and see what happens then when you're all fresh?

X

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:34 pm

If he's longer he might be skinnier which could explain them not fitting as well round the thighs. For your one size nappies can you try adjusting the fit so the thigh tightness comes in? And for sized nappies try going down a size? My dd went into larges then dropped back to meds for this reason. It's tricky if they need it in the rise though. In assuming you always put the mf to the top of the boosting so it can deal with floods? I ended up using all mf cloths as my top boosting and wrapped it round everything else which helped a lot. The puddle flows iykwim and this catches it. Also, not to overboost as this can affect the fit.

Have you tried fitteds and wool?

My avatar
Robins_Mummy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Robins_Mummy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:15 am

Which hemp inserts are good?

And where would I start with fitteds? :oops:

My avatar
sophie2198
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby sophie2198 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:18 am

I have babykicks hemp inserts , been using them 4 years now and there still fab!!! :-D

Fitteds you'd need bamboo , weenotions are good , little gumnut , lls , just to name afew but classifieds would be a good place to try some for less money :-)

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:24 am

If youre using lots of different kinds of pockets and having trouble with all of them then it probably is the inserts you should be looking at. Perhaps start with some easy peasy hemp boosters to use underneath the microfiber inserts - these are slimmer than bamboo and might help with the gaping. You can get them quite cheaply on eBay. I'm thinking change as little as possible to start with rather than going out and buying a whole heap of new nappies and inserts (though if you fancy shopping...)

I have the petit dissou bamboo inserts that lots of people here have and find these work well with all my pockets. They will go about 2 hours on their own and if I add an EP hemp booster then I can get 3hrs plus.

How often are you changing? Perhaps just changing more often would allow you to use less bulk and get a better fit?

I also have some hemp inserts (I have happy heiny stuffins) and use the BG microfiber inserts on top of those sometimes too. You can't really use hemp on its own as it is quite slow to absorb and the wee can just run off it.

I've just been looking for inserts for you and come accross www.funkymonkeypants.com (warning very dangerous site :giggle: ) and they have a very good collection of inserts and boosters. Baby kind also has quite a few. Or just keep an eye on classifieds.

Good luck!

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies