Newbie advice please

My avatar
grace79
Clothie
Clothie

Newbie advice please

Postby grace79 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:06 am

Hello

I'm a newbie to these forums and also to cloth nappies. I've just started using a variety of preloved pocket nappies with my 12wk old daughter and so far, they have been good with absorbancy and leakage. I'm stuffing with prefolds - at least the bambinos came in useful for something - we didn't get on with those at all!

Anyway, I usually rinse the nappies straight after removal and I've just washed my first load, using Asda's own brand non bio at 60 degrees and with an extra rinse but it hasn't removed all the staining.

Any top tips and advice would be much appreciated, the more economical the better! I bought some fleece yesterday with the intention of making some liners but I've read conflicting advice about whether this works - I guess I'd be best just giving it a go?!

TIA
Grace

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Re: Newbie advice please

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:21 am

Hello and welcome!

My washing routine is:

- dry pail the nappies (I don't bother rinsing at all - I don't find it makes any difference with BF poo!)
- do a cold wash without any detergent
- do a 60c wash with one tablet of Ariel (we used to use non-bio, but bio seems to work much better)
- line dry, whenever possible. Sun is a remarkable stain remover! And if it's raining, putting stained nappies on a windowsill to sun out works just as well, but can take a little longer.

We do use fleece liners, not because of staining but because it helps to keep DD's bum dry. Mind, it depends on the material of the nappy as to whether we always use fleece. Something like suedecloth (in a BumGenius) works like fleece for us, so we don't bother with fleece then.

HTH

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:29 am

By far the best way to remove any stains and getting your nappies looking fresh again is to hang them in the sun - I know that is a little unlikely at the moment but it is the best :D

You can use fleece liners in them and this would also help prevent staining of the nappies.

My avatar
samandabismum
Clothie
Clothie

Postby samandabismum » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:57 pm

We dry pail, then do a rinse in the machine then wash at 40/60 depending on how many pooey nappies with half the normal amount of persil non-bio (as I am very sensitive to bio). We do use fleece liners for the nappies I most like but TBH DD's breastfed explosive poos stain most of the nappy regardless of the liner. There are stains after washing but we line dry and the sun works wonders. If it is raining I try to get the clothes airer where it will get most indoor sun.
Hope that helps.

My avatar
grace79
Clothie
Clothie

Postby grace79 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:07 pm

Thanks for the advice - looks like the best solution is cheap, cheerful but in short supply - the sun!

My avatar
juboo752
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby juboo752 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:55 pm

It even works on a cloudy days! :D

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:24 am

And if it's raining, you can put stained nappies indoors on your window sills. It takes a little longer for the stains to fade than outside in direct sunshine, but is a good option in the winter.

My avatar
grace79
Clothie
Clothie

Postby grace79 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:08 pm

I'm impressed, I've had some nappies on the window sill all morning and those stubborn stains are definately fading! 8)

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:57 pm

Glad to hear it seems to be working for you. :)

The sun is actually out here (hurray!), so I'm making the most of it with a second nappy load wash of the day.

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies