hf1

I'm getting in a muddle - inserts/liners/boosters

My avatar
YumMum
Clothie
Clothie

I'm getting in a muddle - inserts/liners/boosters

Postby YumMum » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:45 pm

I'm completely new to this. I'm going to be buying some ebay cheapie pockets to try out on my one year old, just to see how we do with cloth before I go spending money on some flashier nappies :giggle: but I'm wondering about inserts and what would be best to use? How much are inserts normally? I've found someone on facebook that is selling bamboo inserts for £1.15 each. Is this a good price? How many inserts do you need per nappy? Just one? And do I need boosters?? What about liners? Do I need to use those with pockets? :panic:

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: I'm getting in a muddle - inserts/liners/boosters

Postby KimmyM » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:51 pm

Okay
Inserts are the absorbent part of the nappy. Couldn't tell you about the deal without seeing them but that does sound cheap.
Boosters you put into an already aborbant nappy to get it a bit more absorbency. Heavy wetter's, longer journey's, night time ect.
Liners are a thin feel dry fabric usually that let's the wet through to the nappy but keep the poo of to help stop staining and make clean up easier.
If the insert is any good and you LO doesn't pee for England than you should only need one to two inserts per nappy.
I know Blueberry Onesize inserts are popular or Petit Desous (that's is spelt wrong :oops: )

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:52 pm

It is confusing at first.
The number of inserts depends on how heavy a wetter you lo is. I used to use a petite dessous (sp) bamboo ontop of a easy peasy hemp, that is a good combo. Little Lambs are good as well but quite thin.
Liner wise I tend to use a minkee one as a stay dry layer next to babies skin but that is personal choice

My avatar
YumMum
Clothie
Clothie

Postby YumMum » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:56 pm

That is excellent, thank you very much. These are the inserts I was looking at.
www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=328319647209272&set=a.328319640542606.75535.327818133926090&type=3&theater
She's not a heavy wetter at all, she's currently in disposable tesco nappies, and only needs changing around 4 times a day (unless she's pooped or is particularly wet).

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:46 pm

They look worth ago I'd pobably get a couple of hemp booster too.
One thing with inserts/booster you should try to use them in a certain order so fastest absorbing to most absorbant.
Hemp at bottom
Bamboo next
Cotton/ Terry next
Microfiber on top how ever I would but a liner on top of microtones as it can absorb skin moisture too (or so I was told).
Hope that's not to confissing.
So if you used a hemp and a microfiber
You'd put the microfiber on top of the hemp.
If you used bamboo and hemp you'd put the bamboo on top of the hemp.
Microfiber is like a sponge so once it has absorbed If it doesn't have something else to soak it up underneath it will squeeze out with pressure.

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies