hf1

Real Xmas trees?

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Real Xmas trees?

Postby charlibunny » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:19 pm

We would love a real X-mas tree.... Where do you get them and how much do you pay? What do you need to do to look after them???? :merryxmas: :happysanta: :snowball:

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Real Xmas trees?

Postby red_dwarf » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:22 pm

you can get them in b&q either cut or potted. if they are cut then you need a base that holds water otherwise it will loose all its needles. you will need to keep the tree watered until you throw it again otherwise it will drop its needles

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:32 pm

We get a Fraser Fir (lovely colour and shape with very little needle drop) and stand it in a pot of water which is topped up daily. Price depends on the height of the tree, we usually get a really nice 5ft one for about £20 from Homebase.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:34 pm

You can either get one with a root ball and put it in a pot with soil or if it is cut you will need a special stand that holds water which will need to be topped up regularly. Most garden centres/DIY places sell them but you can order them online and get them delivered if you'd prefer. I usually like to choose mine as I like them to have a nice shape but have taken the risk of getting one delivered this year. I'd definitely recommend getting a non-drop tree though as other trees make such a mess. We usually get a nordmann fir but have also had noble firs and blue spruces in the past.

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:43 pm

We went out to get ours today from the local garden centre. We got a Nordman fir one (non drop) about 7ft tall and paid £60 for it :shock: . I'm not sure you can do a great deal to stop them shedding their needles - we always get a real tree and if you have them in indoor temps for more than 2 or 3 weeks they always drop needles, no matter what you do to try to keep them hydrated.

Every year we say we will buy a plastic one next year but I really love a real tree - they smell so nice and look so lovely.

I'll get some pics taken once the girls decorating attempts have been rearranged :giggle: and the lights have been put on.

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:44 pm

Our local Round Table sell cut trees 2 weeks before Christmas so that is where we get ours. It's usually £5 per foot of tree. We usually get a Noble Fir and so long as it has a good soak before we put it up and the container is topped up regularly then there is minimal needle drop. I love the smell of a real tree!! :happysanta:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:44 pm

We got ours from B&Q last year and it was lovely. Price depends on height a decent just over 6ft one is about £30, not sure how much the pots are think they are about £15. I was disappointed we didn't get one but they were all netted up already and no one was free to un net a couple to show us them. Last year we got hardly any needle drop
I love a real tree but am liking the hugeness and uniform shape on the artificail one we got this tear, it was reduced from £100 to £49 x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:46 pm

becsom wrote:We went out to get ours today from the local garden centre. We got a Nordman fir one (non drop) about 7ft tall and paid £60 for it :shock: . I'm not sure you can do a great deal to stop them shedding their needles - we always get a real tree and if you have them in indoor temps for more than 2 or 3 weeks they always drop needles, no matter what you do to try to keep them hydrated.

True, but getting it later rather than earlier definitely helps and believe me you would notice a HUGE difference in the amount of needles shedding if you didn't buy a non drop one.

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:53 pm

Louise wrote:
becsom wrote:We went out to get ours today from the local garden centre. We got a Nordman fir one (non drop) about 7ft tall and paid £60 for it :shock: . I'm not sure you can do a great deal to stop them shedding their needles - we always get a real tree and if you have them in indoor temps for more than 2 or 3 weeks they always drop needles, no matter what you do to try to keep them hydrated.

True, but getting it later rather than earlier definitely helps and believe me you would notice a HUGE difference in the amount of needles shedding if you didn't buy a non drop one.

Absolutely - ours is usually up from the beg of Dec until 6th January so it has usually dried out a lot!! The cheaper ones (Norway Spruce??) def lose their needles quicker. We used to get the smaller needled ones and as soon as you moved it to take it out of the house it was like you pressed a button to tell the tree to drop every needle it possessed on the carpet :shock: :giggle:

Next

Return to The Christmas Grotto