More allergy help please

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

More allergy help please

Postby LynniferT » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:16 pm

We need help coming to a decision...

We have had our puppy merlin for 3 weeks now and last weekend discovered that DS2's asthma is set off by the dog licking him. :(

Basically DS2's allergy means that he starts coughing and his chest gets tight and he needs his inhaler and a shower or he carries on wheezing. (he has ended up in a&e on a nebuliser before)

We didnt rush into getting a dog and we made sure we did all the checks before buying, i.e. visiting, plenty of exposure to pups and parents and DS2 was fine, no hint of a wheeze. He has never had an issue with dog saliva before...my sister has 3 'kissy/licky'' dogs and DS2 has never had a reaction to them.

My friend mentioned to someone she works with about our prob and they are now interested in merlin, so may potentially have a new home for him....so...do we keep puppy and manage the licking issue or do we rehome merlin?

Help!!!!!!!!!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: More allergy help please

Postby gilbertandmartha » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:16 pm

I love animals, but I wouldn't risk it. I think it would be too hard trying to keep a young boy from loving his dog and the dog from licking his face.

My avatar
Mummyof4
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Mummyof4 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:51 pm

I also wouldn't risk it. My DS no.2 also has asthma, and has had several hospital visits, requiring a nebuliser and steroids, to the point where we have a mask to take with us to the hospital when he gets bad!

Is it this particular dog, or dog breed that is setting him off? Perhaps in a few months time you could try getting the same sort of breed that your sister has, as he has had no reaction to them? Or you could do something like a rabbit, or a guinea pig? We have Gerbils, since I am so allergic to just about everything with fur that we can't have them in the house, but small creatures like that are easily contained, and don't affect me or DS2 at all.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:19 pm

I wouldn t risk it either sorry :(
Plus I think it would be easier to rehome now than later if things got worse with the asthma.
Very tricky decision and I saw the pics of how cute he is :(
Such a shame for all of you, but can you be sure it is just the licking? Perhaps it is having that breed in the home 24/7.
Xxx

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby LynniferT » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:47 pm

gilbertandmartha wrote:I love animals, but I wouldn't risk it. I think it would be too hard trying to keep a young boy from loving his dog and the dog from licking his face.

Yep, seems silly having a dog if he's not able to enjoy him like his brothers and sister do :(

Is it this particular dog, or dog breed that is setting him off?

Merlin is spaniel x mini poodle...my sister has a poodle cross, our friends have a labradoodle, next door have a springer spaniel and DS2 has been fine with all of them :-?

Plus I think it would be easier to rehome now than later if things got worse with the asthma.

This is what my friend said too, it would be easier for us (and merlin) to sort it now than months down the line when everyone is mega attached and the allergy could get worse.

Arghhhh... I know what i have to do... I just don't want to tell the kids we have to give up a much wanted pet :-|

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:24 am

:hug:

Return to Baby, childrens and family health