hf1

How to stop thumb-sucking

My avatar
shinycat
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

How to stop thumb-sucking

Postby shinycat » Fri May 16, 2014 4:08 pm

Anyone got any bright ideas of how to help my not-quite 4yr old DD to stop sucking her thumb? she has done it since she was 3 months old and it is obviously a great source of comfort to her, in fact I wasn't going to do anything about it for that reason (esp as she is starting school in Sept and might need it while she's settling in) but her teeth are visibly starting to get misaligned now and I'm concerned if we leave it too long it will impact on her adult teeth when they come through. I have so far just been doing constant reminders, she will stop each time, and then a minute later starts again, the habit is hugely ingrained I am worried it will be really hard for her to stop. She does it all the time when her hands aren't busy with something, obv more when tired and bored. I have explained the reason why she needs to stop, as well as showing her pictures of people with really wonky teeth - she just thought they were funny though! I don't want to do the nasty tasting nail-varnish thing.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: How to stop thumb-sucking

Postby littlesez » Fri May 16, 2014 4:35 pm

I could write the same! but i am over a year further down the line, I have done eveything too and izzy says she wants braces :roll: so I have decided to just leave her

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Fri May 16, 2014 6:10 pm

My friend taped her daughters thumb up with sellotape, which worked.

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby girlinleeds » Fri May 16, 2014 6:40 pm

If you figure it out let me know, pippa is 5 and a thumb sucker. She never does it at school though and only tends to be when shes worn out or upset

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri May 16, 2014 8:23 pm

Izzy has stopped doing it at school too!

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby girlinleeds » Fri May 16, 2014 9:00 pm

littlesez wrote:Izzy has stopped doing it at school too!

pips also left her tigger teddy at home the first day of school without me even mentioning it which amazed me as she never leaves the house without him

My avatar
shinycat
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby shinycat » Sat May 17, 2014 4:04 pm

She's done well today with a plaster on her thumb, she's had toys, clothes etc in her mouth all day though! I know the plaster will come off in bed tonight as well!

My avatar
mamavan2
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mamavan2 » Sat May 17, 2014 7:55 pm

We started after my DD turned 5. First just at daytime and when she got used to that she did the bedtime part. We aimed at just stopping at daytime. We had a code word to remind here in the daytime (ours was Alex,the lion from Madagascar). We told here she would get a reward if she would have stopped for 2 weeks. It worked :wink: . We sometimes used a plaster.
Good luck.

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Sat May 17, 2014 9:00 pm

I have always sucked my thumb and the only way I could break the habit was to micropore tape my thumb and first fi ger. Plasters came off in the night and i found myself sucking when i woke up.

Next

Return to Baby, childrens and family health