hf1

Temp

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Temp

Postby ems101 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:40 am

Ben is still under the weather.took him to the docs yesterday. No temp, no chest infection just congestion on the chest. She gave me an inhaler to help him clear it a bit.

Anyway he feels hot to me in the evening/night and today but in the back of the head not on the forehead . I have an infrared forehead thermometer which says 36.5 but it I point it to his ear it says 39.5!

Anyone know anything about these? Which temp is real? Not had a hot back if head before!! @docmagoo?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Temp

Postby clothmama » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:45 am

That is a big difference :-? It is hard to know as I think they are calibrated to where they tell you to take it (so the forehead in the case of yours) but the fact that it is reading that high anywhere is a worry! Have you got another thermometer or neighbours you could borrow one off? Has he just woken up and been lying on his ear / back of head?

Interesting if anyone has any more info as I was interested in getting one of these as I have an ear one which wont' work on a tiny baby!

I think you were missing a letter when you tagged Jen so I'm retagging her @docmaggoo

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby girlinleeds » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:20 pm

I would say if he feels hot to touch then go with him being hot. I know with ear ones you cant get a false high but can get a false low if its not in properly, same with under arm can get a false low but not a false high xx

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:14 pm

I'm lead to believe that the ear thermometer's are more reliable, which is why the hospitals use them. How is he feeling now. Have you retaken the temp? X

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:30 pm

The infra-red ones can be very variable in measuring temperature accurately.

I'd always recommend a good quality ear/ tympanic one.
Much more reliable.

but we don't you use a tympanic one on a child under the age of 6 months.

Reason being - their ear canals are much narrower and to get an accurate reading off their ear drum is very very hard - so a simple digital one under an armpit is the best for little ones!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:51 pm

Thanks Jen. Hrs 7m now. The reason we got the infra red one is that my children don't seem to like having it under their arms. But it does seem to be inaccurate so won't rely on it. His forehead is cool, but the back of his head is much warmer. He picked up this afternoon. Ate more and has settled down to sleep better. Hopefully it will just pass.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:00 am

docmaggoo wrote:but we don't you use a tympanic one on a child under the age of 6 months.

I knew there was a reason we do under the arm at work on the NBs :giggle: I'll have to grab a underarm one for bubba. Actually I've got a normal looking thermometer that was a basal one for TTC - I used it orally but would that work under the arm @docmaggoo ?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:01 am

ems101 wrote:Ate more and has settled down to sleep better. Hopefully it will just pass.

How is his temp @ems101 has it settled and you are just left with the coughing or is he still warm?

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:31 am

Hes on the mend thanks @clothmama the Cough is loosening. Not sure why he was up so much last night. Possibly after a busy day at my mums. Lots of people wanting to hold him etc.

Next

Return to Baby, childrens and family health