hf1

Could this be depression?

My avatar
amba
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Could this be depression?

Postby amba » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:12 am

My friend told me that her son told her he would rather die than go to school! She has spoken to the school about his somber attitude, but they say he is happy at school? She said she cries because she doesn't know what to do. She has the HV coming out today to discuss his behavior/feelings. I was wondering if there is something happening at home that she doesn't know about? I don't mean abuse or anything like that, she has other children, so maybe feeling pushed out? She says he purposely wets the bed, as he has told her he does! Could he have depression? Or is it something else? He is coming up for 9 years in march.
I'm really not sure how to help her with this situation

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Could this be depression?

Postby JabberJabber » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:51 am

I'm sorry, I ddon't have the skills to say - I hope that the HV is helpful and finds a way to support your friend and that the situation improves for her and her son.

I think that the best thing you can do is to be prepared to listen to her, even if you don't have solutions to the problems. This must be very frustrating and worrying for her, so she will need help herself to process what is going on (if anything) and possibly need a kindly ear to bend.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:34 pm

Gosh, how sad and frustrating. It's good she is looking for an answer and seeking help. I don't think there is an easy answer from your post, it sounds complex but not unsolvable and she's starting in the right place. Asking for a camhs referral from the go might be the next step

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:09 pm

:hug: sounds like there is something gonig on :hug: I agree with what Kate and Emily have said. Hope they can get it sorted and some help :hug:

Return to Baby, childrens and family health