hf1

What is this annoying rash?

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

What is this annoying rash?

Postby LynniferT » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:16 pm

We are battling a rash...childrens clinic nurse/doctor says eczema but the aqueous cream, hydrocortisone and e45 are not helping.

He has it on his belly, behind legs and its starting in teeny patches on his back, in hair and behind his ear.

Worse bit is under his chin which he scratches, then it weeps and bleeds. I have used sudocreme but whatever DH put on it last night made it weep and go icky again :doh:

The rash on his belly and thigh corresponds to his wool soaker and i just bought a new lanolin so assume allergy to something in that. Chin...teething necklace??

I want it to go, hes miserable and itchy and its waking him at night (more than he already wakes) :x

A couple of the kids have suffered from a smidge of ezcema but nothing like this.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: What is this annoying rash?

Postby ems101 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:25 pm

I'd say maybe where it gets wet and cold. Under the chin looks like dribble rash, belly maybe from wet nappy? You could test him in a week of disposals? Looks very very sore. Think I'd ask for a second opinion.

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:00 pm

Don't have any advice but poor guy :cnthug:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:14 pm

Is it on places that get damp? what about non talc powder :)

If its eczema my recommendation would be Shea butter and no dairy xx

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:18 pm

It could well be eczema. I'm not sure it is from nappy - that tummy one looks way higher than the nappy, agree the chin one could be damp though. It is really hard to tell, I'd just try different creams etc and see how you get on and what works and what doesn't. How long has he had it? Any new foods / drinks introduced? Any change to washing powder / softener brands?

littlesez wrote:Shea butter
This would be very soothing. I'm also reading a lot of good things about organic coconut oil for shin conditions.

Let us know how you get on :hug:

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:10 pm

clothmama wrote:
littlesez wrote:Shea butter
This would be very soothing. I'm also reading a lot of good things about organic coconut oil for shin conditions.

Let us know how you get on :hug:

We use organic coconut oil for nappy rash and for prevension of rash. It is antiseptic so very good for the skin :thumbsup: and it smells nice too :giggle:

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby LynniferT » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:55 pm

Well gp reckons its def eczema :(

T has a steroid cream, antibiotic (?) cream and some bath emollient. (To go with his aqueous and hydrocortisone!!!)

Dont really want to be putting all that on my baby boy but the patch under his chin needs to heal up.

Gp said no wool (i think an allergy to the new lanolin may have started the eczema off anyway) so thats on classifieds :(

How long til the rash goes away with eczema?

Also will those creams be ok with our nappies? Hes in a disposable tonight as the night nappies are quite high and may rub his belly. But dont want to wreck our day stash.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:01 pm

Poor little guy :hug:
I d be tempted to go for sposies just in case it rubs and or wrecks your nappies and get rid of it in once and for all.

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:08 pm

It's not uncommon for people with ezcema to also be allergic to lanolin. Unfortunately quite a few ezcema creams contain lanolin (I think E45 does too) so the various treatments being put on the skin can battle against each other :(

I'm not honestly sure about the creams with nappies though. Could you get a pack of flushable liners to protect nappies just in case? I've recently got some really fab disposable bamboo liners, £5.85 for 200 from Fill Your Pants.

Next

Return to Baby, childrens and family health