hf1

Allergic to elastic in underwear?

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Allergic to elastic in underwear?

Postby cat27m » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:47 am

I think Rowan may be allergic to the elastic in her knickers. She potty trained in October and has suffered on and off with a horrrendous, angry rash at the top of her legs, just where her pants sit. It starts off very very red as if it is burnt, then the skin goes incredibly dry and tight and then it peels like it would with sunburn. We've been using Epaderm cream and Oilatum in the bath which does seem to help but I would like to find underwear where the elastic is completely covered so I can try and get rid of this completely. I've sorted through the pants she's got but I'm not convinced that what we have left hasn't still got exposed elastic. Any ideas ladies. My wee girl is fed up with her scratchy legs! :(

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Allergic to elastic in underwear?

Postby red_dwarf » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:57 am

Im sure ABK makes underwear. maybe ask if she can make some with the elastic covered for you

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:01 pm

Thanks. I've just PMd Rae so fc she can do something. Hopefully we can find something as her wee legs are in such a mess atm. :(

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:06 pm

The only other thing I can think of is that mybe she has a latex alergy, so If you have a sewing machine, you could replace the elastic in her pants with latex free elastic whcih might be a cheeper option.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:24 pm

William reacted like this but it has thankfully settled down in the past few months. I went out and bought all new undies for him, the kind where no elastic is showing. The other option was that he just wore his pants and went freestyle :wink: :giggle:

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:38 pm

beck wrote:William reacted like this but it has thankfully settled down in the past few months. I went out and bought all new undies for him, the kind where no elastic is showing. The other option was that he just wore his pants and went freestyle :wink: :giggle:

:giggle: :giggle:

Not sure how nursery would take to that!! :giggle:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:08 pm

Funny you say that about DC I sent William undiless today :giggle: lately he's been waiting til the very last second to go to the toilet (to busy playing) and his undies were taking forever for him to drop :roll: so to save on change of clothes and him getting so upset he doesn't wear any :lookround:

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:35 pm

beck wrote:Funny you say that about DC I sent William undiless today :giggle: lately he's been waiting til the very last second to go to the toilet (to busy playing) and his undies were taking forever for him to drop :roll: so to save on change of clothes and him getting so upset he doesn't wear any :lookround:

FC that's the answer for him. :giggle:

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Allergic to elastic in underwear? UPDATE thank you to Rae!

Postby cat27m » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:05 pm

red_dwarf wrote:The only other thing I can think of is that mybe she has a latex alergy, so If you have a sewing machine, you could replace the elastic in her pants with latex free elastic whcih might be a cheeper option.

UPDATE

We had our regular appointment with the paediatrician about Rowan's asthma and she was asking about any allergies in the family. When we said that both DHs Dad and brother have severe banana allergies she said she would make a note of this as it can be linked to a latex allergy. We then therefore asked about the rash on her legs.

We've now got an appointment for a skin prick test to check for a latex allergy so fc we might get some answers.

Also the lovely Rae at ABK has made us some gorgeous knickers with no elastic that work a treat - no rash, so at least her skin has improved. :D

Return to Baby, childrens and family health