hf1

Wondering if Ryan has a food intolerance. *updated*

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Wondering if Ryan has a food intolerance. *updated*

Postby e586 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:23 am

but not sure what!! (TMI- lots of poo talking below....)

It's mainly his nappies that make me suspect it- he's nearly 2 1/2 and has only once done a 'solid' poo -they are vile and loose and cover his nappies - a lot of time they leak as well. It's mushy and sticky, and usually with bits of food undigested. He usually poos fairly soon after meals, 2-3 times a day is pretty normal, we get the odd day with one!! I'm thinking the main culprits like milk or wheat - leaning towards wheat as when he does a poo and you wipe him it takes ages to get the little flecks of wheat off of his bum, and they're always in the nappy velcro or hiding inside the itti trifold (which means I have to do lots more washing) - is this normal!? Don't remember that with Natalie!!

As a baby he wasn't too fussy (exclusively bf to 6months then still bf til nearly 2) but then that was compared to Natalie who had silent reflux and was in pain with it. Ryan's always been windy, he did struggle with wind as a newborn but fed a lot and gained a lot. He's a big boy! My reason for thinking dairy was that Monday we were at the park and he had chocolate ice cream. The next day his poo was pig-smelling, loose and VERY dark brown! Food passes through him quickly- if he has tuna on a Weds then we get tuna nappies on Thurs....

Because he was bf a lot still even at 18 months I assumed the loose nappies were down to that, but I stopped feeding him at Christmas and they're still vile. I feel bad when he goes to nursery as he'll poo 2-3 times a day, and usually needs a clothes change once a week (he's there 2 days a week) He doesn't have eczema, doesn't complain about upset tummy, is generally happy, but I just wonder if something is upsetting his system?

Anyone had similar? I know I should talk to my GP about it (and I will do) but I'd like to go in with as much info as I can first! :)
Last edited by e586 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Wondering if Ryan has a food intolerance.

Postby lazylexis » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:24 am

Sounds possible. What u said about eating tuna one day and it being in the nappy the next is normal tho rather than passing quickly through his system.definitely worth a gp trip.have u thought about trying an elimination diet?

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:40 am

yes, that's what I was thinking of doing, just wasn't sure which to try first- wheat or dairy? Leaning towards wheat as he has a lot of it and due to all the flecks and bits in his nappies. We're away for 5 days on the 25th though so might just cut back until we're back then cut out as we're camping...

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:44 am

It sounds like toddler diarrhoea to me. When Jake is having issues with his food, particularly dairy, his poo goes green and frothy and very watery rather than brown.

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:17 am

tanya wrote:It sounds like toddler diarrhoea to me. When Jake is having issues with his food, particularly dairy, his poo goes green and frothy and very watery rather than brown.

was wondering about this as well! Looking at the info it makes sense, and we might be able to change the balance of what he has and see if that works...

we'd stopped using full fat milk about a year ago. Both Natalie and Ryan eat really well and are a good size (and very tall) for their age- maybe if I put full fat back in it'll help. I've never done lo/no fat anything else though- I like full fat stuff too much! :giggle:

Wheat could still be the issue if it was TD - we eat wholemeal bread and he likes wheat cereal, lots of pasta.... I'm going to swap the bread and cereal for now and see what that does.

He eats fruit but I wouldn't say too much of it, and only has a small cup of squash 2x a week at playgroups- I don't buy the stuff. And he has VERY diluted oj on Sunday evenings at my in-laws (think flavoured water, I only put a drop in)

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:48 am

I don't know about wheat, I'm afraid. None of us have any issues with it. What you were describing didn't sound like dairy issues to me, hence replying. But we did have quite a while with toddler diarrhoea with Bella - probably from 18 months-ish to nearly 3, I would guess. And I was assured it was pretty normal for that age.

Even now at nearly 4, Bella still has some loose stools, particularly this week where she's been eating at nursery and the balance of her diet has changed - she eats MUCH better at nursery in variety and quantity, it seems. Love the power of peer pressure in this case :giggle:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:55 am

With toddler diarrhoea though you would expect to haev had some solid poos at some point from birth until now usually. toddler diarrhoea typically happens between the ages of 1 and 3. If it is toddler diarrhoea it is better to eat a high fat diet so full fat milk is better than semi skimmed, to avoid too much or too little fibre in the diet as both can make it worse, to avoid fruit juice and too much fruit can help too.
It was the never had a solid poo that made me think more of an intolerance.

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:11 pm

yeah, that's the thing, he really hasn't ever done solid "roll off the nappy" type poo. Even the squashed variety that "peel" off is maybe once a month- if that! But otherwise he's ok.

Tanya- Natalie was more like that with the green/mucousy poo when she was little and Ryan's really hasn't ever been like that. He did have some green ones when bf, but that could easily just be too much foremilk, but his tended to be very 'seedy' and yellow.

why is poo so confusing? :giggle: Lucas is currently skipping days and doing foul dark yellow/brown thick sludge with frothy bits. But I think his is the antibiotics he was on that messed up his system, and because he's on long term ones his gut has never had a chance to recover.

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Wondering if Ryan has a food intolerance. *Update*

Postby e586 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:58 pm

remembered I started this post and thought I'd update-

we swapped out brown bread and weetabix for white bread and cornflakes. Things got better for a bit. Then back to the usual foul stuff... tried gluten free bread, also saw an improvement for a bit but hit and miss due to having brown bread at nursery, other gluten, etc.

End of November we went to gp questioning intolerance and were referred to his consultant that we see for his hemiplegia. He also thought toddler diarrhoea was likely but ran the allergy bloods (inc. iron levels and coeliac) just to check. Said it would be 4 weeks and he fully expected them to come back normal.

Had a message Thursday asking me to call him to discuss results, and finally got in touch with him today. Very shocked consultant then told me the result none of us were expecting- his coeliac test came back high ('high' is anything over 10- his was 128) so he's now been referred for a biopsy and the rest of us need to be tested. Lucas is showing signs too :(

nightmare :(

Next

Return to Baby, childrens and family health