hf1

Double Jointed - in babies and young children

Double Jointed - in babies and young children

Postby 123princesssammie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:26 pm

Alesha was discovered to be double jointed at about 8mnths and i was told her crawling walking etc would be very delayed because of this, now she started crawling at about 10mnths and isnt walking yet (she 16mnths) she can walk sideways along the furniture (been doing this about 3mnths if not longer) and if i hold her hnads she will try and walk but has no balance for herself and her ankles/feet slip and slide everywhere, if i let go off her hands she cannot stand still she will sit straight down,

she is getting very very frustrared at not being able to walk its as if she knows what she needs to do but physically cant

does anyones baby/child have this? did you do anything to help them? should i be doing anything differently with her?

she is double jointed in the ankles, knees, hips, fingers, wrists, elbows and possibly shoulders but am not sure x
My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Double Jointed - in babies and young children

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:08 am

Crawling at 10months and not yet walking at 16months doesn't sound delayed to me :?

Isabelle never crawled and didn't walk until 18months and doesn't have any joint issues!

If she is double jointed and it's an issue the HPs know about you should be able to get physio for her - ask your HV about it...
My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Site Supporter

Postby 123princesssammie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:12 am

didnt sound delayed to me either, to be honest i am perfectly happy with letting her go at her own pace and she will walki when she is reday, yet my HV just wont give up on the fact that apparently she needs this and that to help her, i see it more as interfering and pushing her when she aint ready x
My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:14 am

My guess is they'll suggest physio which will just be exercises to help but she may just build up the muscle groups on her own...
If it keeps the HV off your back I'd say there's no harm in going to physio as the physiotherapist will know more about what's normal for the age etc and if necessary put he HV right ;)

But our HVs won't act until they're 2yrs old and not walking... ;)
My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Site Supporter

Postby fluffycabbage » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:28 am

when you say double jointed do you mean hyper-extensive ligaments?
doesnt sound delayed to me either x :hug:
My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby ems » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:47 am

hypermobility is quite normal in babies, children, and also in adults.
My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby mabo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:19 am

I agree with what the others have said, it doesn't sound delayed to me at all.

That said, I am myself double jointed (just about everywhere too) and I wasn't particularly delayed with walking because of it. What delayed me is that I had a clicky hip and had an op to correct it which caused me a delay in getting up and about, but never did the double jointedness stop me.
My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby lazylexis » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:50 am

What emma said.doesn't sound delayed and i lots of people have hypermobile joints.i do to an extent and was walking at 10 months.it often doesn't cause a problem.childrens joints are naturally a lot more mobile than adults anyway.
My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby g murphy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:54 am

Doesn't sound delayed to me either! I have hyper mobile joint syndrome which means that every joint in my body is double jointed and i walked at 11 months. I would just leave her to get on with it. Babies are naturally more nemey than adults anyway hunnie. X
My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Next

Return to General chat