hf1

Mastitis, nipple crevasse & spots on breast. Sorry if TMI!

My avatar
Farmers
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Mastitis, nipple crevasse & spots on breast. Sorry if TMI!

Postby Farmers » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi!

I have a few issues with one of my breasts which i haven't been using since the mastitis. My baby is now 9 weeks old and has been feeding fine off the other breast.

I had mastitis a few weeks ago, and ever since then the skin around my nipple and on the breast where it was red has been peeling like it does after sunburn.

I also have 2 spots on the breast itself that don't hurt, but have formed scabs which bleed if my bra catches them.

The nipple itself has a huge crevasse in the middle of it and doesn't form the proper nipple shape anymore even when i use a breastpump.

Has anyone else experienced these things?

Thanks!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Site Supporter

Re: Mastitis, nipple crevasse & spots on breast. Sorry if TMI!

Postby littlesez » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:14 pm

no i think you should get checked at docs hun :hug:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:16 pm

Think I agree, you should get it checked out :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:21 pm

I agree. :hug:

My avatar
Farmers
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Farmers » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:44 pm

Not quite the response i was looking for! Guess I'm a bit scared at what they might say...

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:49 pm

not to worry hun im only saying get it checked becasue i have never experienced it so i cant say

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:33 am

Hey hon,

Try not to worry. I had mastitis on the left boob badly and the right boob mildly a few weeks back. The right is absolutely fine, but I definitely find it much more sensitive to feed from the left, even now. Also, it doesn't take much to get really sore on that side too.

The spots not healing is almost certainly a mixture of two things. Firstly, you're probably a little run down post birth - with breastfeeding, etc... and being ill on top, plus getting over a birth, if you're not taking extra good care of yourself something is going to give. Secondly, the repeated irritation of the scabs being pulled off them by your bra will keep opening them up. Have you tried going bra-less at all? Could you use a nice dry breast pad over them to stop your bra rubbing them? I'm not a fan of plasters as I always believe the old adage of 'letting the air get to it' is the best to get things dried up and healed, but a nice, soft, reusable cotton breast pad would be breathable and non-irritating I think? A plastic backed disposable one would keep the moisture in. I'd not be putting cream or anything like that on them in order to let them dry up too. Just try to not get the scabs off them all the time and they should heal up in time.

The nipple crevasse is another matter though. I've never seen anything like that before, but the fact the the nipple is now out of shape makes me think you should get it checked out. However, before you let your mind stray too far, just remember that suspicious 'nasties' don't pop up overnight, and as everything was completely normal before the mastitis you have to think that perhaps the most probably reason is scarring of some sort.

Sarah
x

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:08 am

You might have some residual infection there so best get checked out.skin peeling is common with skin infections.
It's best to keep the scabs moist as keeping wounds moist aids healing.can you get hold of some dressings from the chemist?something like duoderm or a gel based one would be best.jelonet which is used on burns is great.it may take a while to heal up.as for the nipple,difficult to say without anyone seeing it so i'd make a drs appointment with a friendly pro breastfeeding gp!

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning