hf1

Worth getting smaller sized bamboo terries?

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Worth getting smaller sized bamboo terries?

Postby epsilon1 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:37 pm

I have, by most accounts, got a decent-sized stash organised now - almost all bought either in sales or pre-loved. Mixture of cotton terries, small and large prefolds, shaped nappies of various brands, some wraps and a few all in ones...

I was thinking of getting some bamboo terries as an overnight option for later on - is it worth getting the 50x50 ones, or should I be OK with a pack of 60x60, using appropriate folds (origami and/or the Jo fold (is that right? The one that starts all corners to middle))?

Must say I love the adaptableness of flat nappies - having used them when working in nurseries.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Worth getting smaller sized bamboo terries?

Postby littlesez » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:42 pm

50 will be nice size for newborn and 60 will last you, i am getting both :giggle:

My avatar
so145
Clothie
Clothie

Postby so145 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:10 pm

I was going to buy some bamboo terries -how thick are they? And how absorbant? Was thinking might work as trifold for over night in disana tie ins?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:54 pm

I need to go and measure mine to see what size they were (I'm thinking they may be 40 cm) but honestly unless you are expecting a tiny baby I wouldn't bother. When Rémy was 2.5- 3 ish kg (5.5 - 7lbs ) they were great but since then I haven't really used them as they were just too small.

Bamboo a great option for absorbency though!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:25 am

I just checked and mine are 40 cm which I'd only recommend for prems (although I used them a lot as inserts in medium and large pockets last time too). If I'd measured earlier I think I would have ordered some 50s, probably not worth bothering now.

I have just realised this is an old thread, I thought you were sneaking something in there @littlesez !

so145 wrote:I was going to buy some bamboo terries -how thick are they? And how absorbant? Was thinking might work as trifold for over night in disana tie ins?

@so145 it will depend a bit on what brand, were you looking at any in particular? Bamboo is more absorbent than cotton so good for boosting. Not sure about with the Disana's as I've not used them. @cuppachaplz can you advise if this would be a good combo?

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:36 am

How old is your baby @so145 ?
Tie-on don't really need boosting early on. Once they do, you can boost with pretty much anything. I used the disana cotton squares and muslins because it was what I had to hand.
At the time I wanted my nappies to be cheap and quick drying, so flats ticked every box. :D

To give you an idea, this is an un boosted tie-on.
Percy is 6w and about 6 1/2 lb (3kg)

We have been using bamboo muslins up until now as he's been too tiny for anything else :)

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds