hf1

Budget

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Budget

Postby ems101 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:22 pm

I have a friend who has just found out they are expecting. She is the main earner, so to maximise the time she can spend at home, she wants to save some money. They are interested in using cloth and ive said id help them with this. I dont know much about flat nappies, except that they are the budget option! Ive watched a few youtube vids on folds, but I want to knwo more about longevity, absorbancy, best types, sizing options etc.

Any advice?

My avatar
usinukveg
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Budget

Postby usinukveg » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:09 pm

They last well!! no elastic to break. Now for a stream of semi-related thoughts on flats...

For Loic (4 months, 4.5 kilos) I need to boost both prefolds and his 40 cm terries, so absorbency isn't perfect. I nippa for better containment. For Liam (2.5 years, 11.5 kilos) I use 60 cm terries pad folded no boosting needed. Anytime I try to nippa, he just seems to wiggle out of the fold.

For me, prefolds are easier to nippa, but I think that I just got a particularly difficult-to-nippa brand of terries (little ewe or something like that). Obviously not great on containment, even when nippa'd, but if you buy good wraps it's ok. Thirsties wraps have been the best for us as Motherease gape on my skinnies.

Flats dry quickly because they fold out and have lots of uses post toilet training. I never liked using muslins. They seemed to be totally soaked in seconds. I would go for cotton on flats, but some people like bamboo.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Great. Thank you! I think ill be recommeding she gives them a try but to also try fitteds and pockets for ease

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:44 pm

I tried and failed with flats. I was actually given an entire bambino mio set but i really did prefer fitteds in the end as i couldnt quite get to grips with the boosters required etc. I did find flats very storage efficient though :) x

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:56 pm

Hi Ems :wave:
I ve used prefolds (cotton ones) on mine and agree with @dora that they are good for storage; not as bulky in cupboard or change bag as fitteds or pockets.
I would suggest buying those second hand as they are soooo much cheaper.
Agree with @usinukveg that you need a good wrap with a gusset. I love thirsties duo over a prefold, and that combination has always been my most reliable nappy in comparison to pockets/ all in ones. You need more wraps and need to expect them to get soiled more often. Well worth spending the money to get good wraps though.
I ve not got much experience with terries, but they can be made more ' nappy shaped'

I would always recommend flats as the main part of your stash if you re on a budget. You can then add in a few pockets or fitteds secondhand or when they re on offer ;) people sometimes practically give prefolds/ terries away so well worth looking out for local bargains ;)
Hth xx

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:04 pm

I hated bambino mios they ended up as nappy off mats ! But I loved traditional Terry squares they are cheap and fabulous :) very versatile never ever had a leak with them even on newborn poop and toddler tummy bugs , yuk !

Best newborn fold was jo fold then used kite fold you can add boosters for adsorbency and fleece liners if need be :)

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:35 pm

Thanks guys! I think I know what ill be using if numero trois ever comes along ;)

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:54 am

Another flats fan here!

I wouldn't bother with anything other than 60cm cotton squares at least for daytime. Thinner ones for littlies (cheapest of the lot) and then thicker for when they get bigger. I really like the most basic Junior Joy ones, and then Terry Tots with the binding around the edge - cheapest to buy from realterrynappies. Bright Bots are also good, and it's fun to have the different colours. We used an origami fold early on and have now moved on to a kite fold.

Over the top we've really liked the Nature Babies adjustable wraps (poppers on the rise and then applix fastening), but I've just ordered some blueberry coveralls to try out, which also get great reviews. I also use Nature Babies hourglass shape fleece liners. That lot, plus a wet bag and a few nippers you're good to go :D

For night-time we mostly use bumbles, boosted with 40cm bamboo squares.

Advantages for me of cotton over bamboo is that you can wash it up to 90 (not that I do), and then dry it on direct heat (radiators) if you need to. Flats in general are great for absorbancy, fast to dry and just so straight-forward. No faffing with inserts and boosters and what have you, Plus super-cheap :thumbsup:

Nest shop have a couple of kits, as do realterrynappies.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:10 am

I love nsture babies wraps. V similar to blueberry imo and they do great offers. I like their liners too. Ill have to try out a few folds...

Next

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds