Prefold sizes

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Prefold sizes

Postby clothmama » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:22 pm

I have a few prefolds which I thought were small ones but when I did the nappy wash and was trying to fold them they seem really big. I'm not sure if this is because I'm not doing it properly or because they are not actually smalls. I'm hoping they are or my numbers will be out with my nappies!

So how big should a small prefold be?
And do I just fold it in 3 and then fan one side to make the back and put a nippa on it?

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Prefold sizes

Postby confusinglady » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:24 pm

:wave: i d say smalls are out the width of a 30 cm ruler (holding my hands up in the air and measuring with my eye ;)) and the length a bit longer. I would do whats called the 'boy fold', have the prefold so that the lines are vertical, fold a bit up at the bottom and then fold each side in tucking them inside each other iyswim. then fan out the top bit. I then would put a fleece liner in the middle and nippy onto baby or lie in a wrap and put on baby/child.

I m not sure if thats the best description :giggle:

Once folded up I always thought they look about the same size as a small fitted.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:41 am

confusinglady wrote:I would do whats called the 'boy fold', have the prefold so that the lines are vertical, fold a bit up at the bottom and then fold each side in tucking them inside each other iyswim.

Ahhhhh lightbulb moment :) , I didn't realise I needed to / could fold up a bit at the front, I was just thinking I did it all stretched out. The size you describe sounds about right in that case and should work! I guess you just fold it up as much as needed to get a good fit rise wise I'm guessing? Thanks for that Nic @confusinglady - I haven't really used prefolds before, other than to stuff pockets with so it is all a bit new to me!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:32 pm

I automatically fold a prefold that way, think I could do it in my sleep :hohoho:
Both my girls suited the ' boy' fold. I didn t nippa with dd1 and only a short while with dd2 as I found it hard to get the sides to stretch round once her tummy got chunky :giggle:
So used to fold like that and put in a wrap.
I think the other way if you re doing it on a newborn is to do the fan but under baby's bum and fold the front up and over to the height you want whilst they re sitting on it. Newborn babies lie still of course :thumbsup:

My avatar
Sophiebeth23
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Sophiebeth23 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:30 am

Newborn are about 30cm wide, next size were double the size of my newborn ones.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:18 am

Sophiebeth23 wrote:Newborn are about 30cm wide, next size were double the size of my newborn ones.

Thanks both! Sounds like they must be NB size!

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds