Terries or prefolds ?

My avatar
sleepymummy
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Terries or prefolds ?

Postby sleepymummy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi
I'm looking to get some terries or prefolds to bulk out bumps stash but having never used either i'm not sure which to go for, we don't have a tumble dryer if that makes a difference. There seem to be loads of different makes out there too, is there much difference between them? any advice on whats best with a newborn would be great

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Terries or prefolds ?

Postby choccylisa » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:15 pm

:wave:

I had terries for ds2 and wraps, and I loved them (so much so I'll be using them again with this one :wine: ). I bought the 60x60 large ones and folded them down, there's loads of different ways to fold terries and compared to the prefolds I have that I'm now getting rid of I prefer them. There seems to be far more different ways to fold them depending on what sex you have and what size/style wraps you use, and I used to wash them in the evening, shove them over a few radiator racks and by the morning they were dry. Never had nappy rash, never needed stripping, and the sun bleached them white again. I bought 24 and I used them exclusively for the first 12 months of ds2's life. Then I was introduced to here and enticed into the lovely wahm nappies that are far more expensive!!!

Got mine off Ebay, although there are plenty of websites that sell them in packs, www.babykind.co.uk do them I'm pretty sure.

My avatar
Mumof5
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Mumof5 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:30 pm

I'm a newbie to cloth (peanut is still growing at the mo), but from all the stuff I've found out - I'd recommend terries. Some people love prefolds, some people hate them, but from what I've heard - they aren't terribly great at containing newborn poo. I found a site which has bags of advice on terries, from folding to washing:
http://www.terrynappies.co.uk/category/ ... w-How.html
Another bonus is that they don't have to cost a fortune! Ask around for what brands people recommend, Little Ewe and Bright bots/White bots usually get good reviews. Another place to check out for good advice is:
http://thenappylady.co.uk/ check her out on youtube to see the different folds.
I have a varied stash (which is rapidly growing :oops: ) with lots of different types of nappies, AIO, SIO, pocket and flat nappies and wraps. I figured it's best to try out a few and see which ones suit peanut best, when she arrives! I hope I've been of some help. Good luck! :thumbsup:

My avatar
Mumof5
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Mumof5 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:36 pm

Another place to try is Twinkle, they do a newborn flat nappy kit which contains a variety of different styles of flat nappies, a good taster with 6 nappies for £21.50! http://www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk/acatal ... AGKIT.html

My avatar
buzzybee21
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby buzzybee21 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:28 pm

I've just been using terries - fab and so versatile. I'm now using them as change mats and burp cloths because I can't stop myself buying girly fluff after my boy :lol: Anyway, lots of people have them preloved too and will sell bundles for a few pounds, making them more economical and green - yay!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:18 pm

I'd probably get a few of each so you can see which you prefer. I have a few prefolds and terries for emergencies (I doubt I'll be using them much as my stash is rather large :oops: :lol:). Prefolds can be nippa'd as well as terries can, they don't need to be pad folded. (Pad folded prefolds aren't great for containment on newborns). Some people also use muslins but I can't see them being particularly absorbent at all. :?

My avatar
sleepymummy
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby sleepymummy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:56 am

Brilliant thanks everyone :wine: I have got 6 60x60 bamboo terries on the way and my mum says her friend has a bundle of cotton terries I can have. I'm going to get a few prefolds to try too. Any particular type I should go for or are they all pretty much the same ?

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds