hf1

Bamboo terries that stay square?

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Bamboo terries that stay square?

Postby Juli » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:48 pm

Can anyone recommend a brand of bamboo terry squares that actually stay square after they've been washed?

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Bamboo terries that stay square?

Postby Twinkletoes » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:13 pm

Ah, there's a secret to keeping squares square! I read it before washing mine when I was pg. and despite them being in constant use for nearly 4 years (not just as nappies!) they are still square, so it definitely works.

Basically, you need to dry them 'quartered'. So, shake out, fold in half precisely, then drape in half again over line or clothes rack so it's essentially quartered. They still dry fast. And stay beautifully square.

Makes me happy still!

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:30 pm

Hmm, yes I can see how that would stop them from "warping" during drying, but it wouldn't stop them from shrinking more in one direction than the other when they are first washed. What brand are you using?

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:15 pm

So, I went ahead and bought some Nature Babies 50x50 bamboo terry squares. When they arrived they were definitely 50x50, but after only one wash they are now 49x42, which is really disappointing. I really wanted some that stayed square, because I know it's going to annoy me so much folding them when the corners don't meet. Any suggestions anyone?

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:23 pm

That's really annoying.

Sorry, I never noticed your earlier question.

Mine are just Mothercare's own brand. They are quite thin (and cotton), but still perfectly square. I did prewash everything at 30 though, not sure if that would've made a difference. They were cheap and worked a treat for the time I used them as nappies (up to about 14lbs).

They're all grubby from being used for various things so I was planning on buying some bamboo ones this time round, but really would prefer that they stayed square. How disappointing.

My avatar
mudita
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mudita » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:33 pm

I have 4 different kinds and none are square...but it really doesn't hamper folding them, I've tried loads of folds and not had an issue, all go on nice and trim.

My avatar
obsessed13
Clothie
Clothie

Postby obsessed13 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:20 am

Hi, I have nature babies bamboo terries and they do not stay square, I e mailed the place I bought them from, she was really lovely and explained this is what happens but they make them slightly rectangle in advance, mine annoy me as they are not perfect so folding just isn't the same as with a cotton terry. However they are still usable and look lovely once on.

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:36 am

obsessed13 wrote:Hi, I have nature babies bamboo terries and they do not stay square, I e mailed the place I bought them from, she was really lovely and explained this is what happens but they make them slightly rectangle in advance, mine annoy me as they are not perfect so folding just isn't the same as with a cotton terry. However they are still usable and look lovely once on.

Thanks for you comments :wave:

I actually measured them before I washed them and they were perfectly square, so that would seem to go against what the lady told you. I just don't understand why they wouldn't wash the fabric before turning it into squares. That way it would already be pre-shrunk.

Yes, I know they will still be perfectly usable, but it does annoy me when they're not square. I used regular cotton squares with my first for the first 9 months and they weren't square either. And it did annoy me. Like when you do the Chinese/bat fold and the "wings" are not symmetrical? I know they still work. It's just annoying. Maybe I'm a bit too much of a perfectionist :roll:

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:37 am

mudita wrote:I have 4 different kinds and none are square...but it really doesn't hamper folding them, I've tried loads of folds and not had an issue, all go on nice and trim.

Hmm, I guess I can give up on finding a different brand that will stay square if none of yours are square. What brands have you got?

Next

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds