hf1

Bamboo terries that stay square?

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Bamboo terries that stay square?

Postby Juli » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:41 am

Twinkletoes wrote:That's really annoying.

Sorry, I never noticed your earlier question.

Mine are just Mothercare's own brand. They are quite thin (and cotton), but still perfectly square. I did prewash everything at 30 though, not sure if that would've made a difference. They were cheap and worked a treat for the time I used them as nappies (up to about 14lbs).

They're all grubby from being used for various things so I was planning on buying some bamboo ones this time round, but really would prefer that they stayed square. How disappointing.

Yes, I read somewhere that apparently bleached cotton isn't as likely to change shape. Maybe it's something to do with the bleaching process. Maybe I should look for a bleached bamboo terry, if there is such as thing?

I have also ordered some organic cotton squares, and the lady I ordered them from assured me that hers have stayed square, but then that's what the lady I ordered the bamboo ones ordered from said as well... :roll: I'll let you know how those behave in the wash. I might just wash one first, not all of them.

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:57 am

The strangest thing has happened!

I measured them yesterday when I had just got them out of the wash, and there was a 7cm difference between the sides. I then hung them up to dry, and just measured them again , and lo and behold, they appear to have "unshrunk"! The sides now only vary by 2 to 3 cm, which isn't perfect, but I think I can live with that.

I'll wash them a few more times and make sure I pull them along the shorter side before drying them, and see what they're like then. I'll let you know how I go.

My avatar
mudita
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mudita » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:58 am

Babeco, Nappy Nation (thought this has stayed quite rectangle-ish), and Nature babies with binding and Nature babies serged...

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:09 pm

mudita wrote:Babeco, Nappy Nation (thought this has stayed quite rectangle-ish), and Nature babies with binding and Nature babies serged...

Do you have a favourite?

My avatar
mudita
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mudita » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:02 pm

Nature babies are nice and squishy...

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:07 pm

I got the organic cotton squares I ordered today, and watched with trepidation as they were going round and round in the washing machine. But I'm pleased to say they were still perfectly square after the wash. :D

I will definitely be following twinkletoes' advice of drying them quartered, as that way they don't warp during drying and I can take them off the line already quartered and ready to fold :thumbsup:

My avatar
mudita
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mudita » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:31 pm

you are very organized! my one cotton terry is nice and square still, but I love the thinness of bamboo so don't mind the wonky sides.

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:10 pm

If bamboo does warp, I'm going to have to stick to cotton. Am totally anal about things like this! They MUST be square! I still dry mine quartered, even though they're used as mopper uppers these days! :oops:

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:36 pm

Twinkletoes wrote:If bamboo does warp, I'm going to have to stick to cotton. Am totally anal about things like this! They MUST be square! I still dry mine quartered, even though they're used as mopper uppers these days! :oops:

Yes, it sounds like you might need to stick to cotton then, but maybe you could try some organic cotton as that is meant to be more absorbent. And I'm loving mine already. With the little dark specks in it it reminds me of proper vanilla icecream :giggle:

PreviousNext

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds