Postby MissFrodo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:27 pm

Just cut the fabrics for the beach bag.

My avatar
Jamling
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: July - Bag/Button Theme

Postby Jamling » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:23 am

That's my fabric arrived :D I likey :D :D Just got to clear a space to start making up the pattern and start cutting out - could take a while :giggle:

My avatar
michebe
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby michebe » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:16 pm

didnt realise it was july and august, should have enough time then once i have finished what i am knitting :) now to see if i have any thicker fabric :)

My avatar
Citrus
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Citrus » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:46 pm

Has anyone made an Onbag before? If so, is a stiffer sort of fabric better, or something quite drapey? Trying to work out if I have anything appropriate in my stash...

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:16 am

Don't know about fabric for the Onbag. :-?

I've finally bought my material. Hurray! I picked up a gorgeous hand printed number from a local store and got a completely contrasting fabric for the inner. I'm pleased with the material, but completely frustrated at my attempts to get the rest of the stuff I need to make this bag with; I'm going to end up ordering stuff from on-line, I think. :x The best thing about where I got the material from is the shop's name: Prints Charming. :hohoho:

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:13 pm

Soupdragon wrote:The best thing about where I got the material from is the shop's name: Prints Charming. :hohoho:

:hohoho: I must go check out that site now!

I'd love to make an Onbag too, but dont have any fabric long enough for the strap without piecing bits together... and I don't want to go buying more fabric than what I have in my stash :oops:

Citrus wrote:Has anyone made an Onbag before? If so, is a stiffer sort of fabric better, or something quite drapey? Trying to work out if I have anything appropriate in my stash...

I'd say a stiff-ish fabric would be good, something easy enough to sew but also strong enough to hold up to the wear and tear. Something along the lines of an old duvet cover, wrap sling or curtains would work well. Thinner fabric could of course be lined :wink:

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Jamling wrote:Well after selling loads of my fabric stash I bought some new fabric to make my hobo bag with. Need to sort out lining fabric now.

can't wait to see this i've done the shoulder bag just need to put my button on but Liana wants a hobo bag be good to see how it's done before we attempt it :D

My avatar
Citrus
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Citrus » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:40 pm

Well I've just started getting my head around the ONbag pattern. The instructions aren't overly clear, but they are free, so that makes sense. It would be quite quick and straight forward if I weren't me - but since I am, It's having a patchwork section on the back and flap, and will be three layers thick: thin denim (I have TONNES of it) on the inside and outside, some denim and some other bits on the inside (I'm stashbusting/being frugal), and an old curtain inbetween for strength. I've got the paper pattern pieces cut out and labelled, so I'm just starting on the patchwork.

Regarding the strap, I don't have enough fabric to do it in one piece, so I'm going to French Seam at the joins and run a continuous length of something like ribbon or petersham (strong with no stretch) along it to make sure it can't go anywhere. I reckon that'll work anyway, and it seems worth a try. I'm not buying 3.5m of something just for a thin strip :wink:

I'll post some pics when I can, and let you know how I get on, but I'm away loads in the next few weeks so it might take a while...

Good luck with your projects, everyone!

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Craft Challenge