hf1

Febuary Challenge / sewalong - Sock monkey

My avatar
sweetiepups
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Febuary Challenge / sewalong - Sock monkey

Postby sweetiepups » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:01 pm

keljbj wrote:I love the socks from Primark, cheap and cheerful but some funky patterns and they don't stretch too much either :giggle: Oh, got some good ones from George@Asda too, packs of 3 pairs in the sale :D

:x no Primark here :x

But I will now have to stalk the aisles of Asda asap :sewing: :hohoho:

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:02 pm

Cute monkeys, might have a go at one myself :D

My avatar
sweetiepups
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby sweetiepups » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:27 pm

karenandgeorgia wrote:Cute monkeys, might have a go at one myself :D

You definitely should/.

When I made the first one, I was a bit meh about the whole thing but DD has loved her monkey so much and making the 2nd and 3rd monkeys has been lots more fun.

Go on, have a go :sewing:

My avatar
sweetiepups
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby sweetiepups » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:56 pm

Any sock monkeys out there?????

I just finished number three and there is so much improvement. Will try and get a group pic tomorrow when its daylight as all the ones I have taken tonight look grainy.

My avatar
clevercuttlefish
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby clevercuttlefish » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:08 pm

I finished a sock bunny the other night (didn't fancy making the sock monkey :giggle: ). I'll take a picture of it later today along with the sock zebra I did earlier. Wish I'd taken photos of the other ones I'd made :(

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:14 pm

My socks are sat here looking at me :( :oops: :oops: :giggle: !!

I have promised the park in the morning, will meet a friend for papers and coffee while the kids play but I think I'll try to have a go in the afternoon!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:38 am

As many of you know I've been a little busy this year :eek: :giggle: so have had little time for crafting however I have finally started my sock monkey, I just need to finish sewing him together. I think I'll have to re-do one of his arms as it is not exactly the same length at the end (where you sew into the edging area of the sock) :panic: so it is bugging me :giggle: perhaps I need to stop being such a perfectionist and get on with it :roll: :giggle:

Will try to get it done in the next few days and get pics up! :D :D

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:01 am

:drama: I can't beleive how long this monkey is taking me :panic: literally weeks in front of the TV :oops:. He is now a wibbly wobbly monkey who's face is on crooked :giggle: and now only needs his eyes which I think I may put on crooked too (to make it look like it was supposed to be like he is :giggle: :giggle: :oops: ) and then I'll get pics up!

clevercuttlefish wrote:the sock zebra I did earlier.

I love that - did you use a tutorial? I'm thinking it may be less annoying that the monkey :x :giggle:

My avatar
clevercuttlefish
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby clevercuttlefish » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:51 am

clothmama wrote::drama: I can't beleive how long this monkey is taking me :panic: literally weeks in front of the TV :oops:. He is now a wibbly wobbly monkey who's face is on crooked :giggle: and now only needs his eyes which I think I may put on crooked too (to make it look like it was supposed to be like he is :giggle: :giggle: :oops: ) and then I'll get pics up!

clevercuttlefish wrote:the sock zebra I did earlier.

I love that - did you use a tutorial? I'm thinking it may be less annoying that the monkey :x :giggle:

:giggle: sock monkeys always looked a little too fiddly for my liking :giggle: I think I used a tutorial to start with, I'll have a look around for you.

This is the first one that I made http://sewmakebelieve.wordpress.com/2009/11/19/sock-toy-tutorial/ very easy as the arms are formed out of the body. The ones I made after this one I kind of adapted and added separate arms and did the ears differently. Once you get the hang of which parts of the sock make the best body parts you can make loads of different ones :)

Sock owls are very easy to do and look incredibly cute http://httpecho.deviantart.com/art/Sock-doll-tutorial-98753371?offset=10 just click on the photos to make the tutorial bigger. Love making these.

You have to post piccies up of course :)

Previous

Return to Monthly Craft Challenge