hf1

Kushies Q?

My avatar
x2008xbabyx
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Kushies Q?

Postby x2008xbabyx » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:32 pm

Hi all, I have been given some preloved Kushies Ultra, and I'm not sure whether they can be stuffed or not if needed. I know that these are the older ones as we were offered them via Freecycle, and have been used for two children. My son isn't a heavy wetter apart from overnight and I was planning on trying him in a real nappy as I read you can stuff them to allow extra absorbency and the disposables that fit aren't 'man' enough, and the next size up is too big, so as soon as there is a certain amount of wee,the nappy sags and leaks anyway!

The mum who passed them on had used them with no complaints, but used disposables overnight so I don't know if I will need to stuff them, but just trying to cover all areas

Thanks

Dawn

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Kushies Q?

Postby nappynutter » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:51 pm

Hello :wave:

Erm, well Kushies Ultras are a bit pants TBH. If they've been through 2 children already I would bet the waterproofing is in a bad way and I definitely wouldn't risk them overnight.

Try them and see but you may have to use them with a separate wrap and boost them lots even for daytime use.

My avatar
ZVBC
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ZVBC » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:51 am

I have bought kushies preloved And have only had problems with two where they leak around the applix. The others have all been fine. I use the cotton ones, boosted with a bambino mio prefold for night. The cotton ones need a wrap though. The plastic pul ones are fine for daytime and don't wick, I only ever get leaks if the vest goes too snug round the nappy. Sadly my lo is too fat for the kushies at the moment :(

My avatar
x2008xbabyx
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby x2008xbabyx » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm guessing its just going to be a 'try it and see' scenario then. If they aren't much good then there's nothing lost as I haven't paid anything for them, and if they are then its a bonus! I currently don't have any reusable liners or boosters, just disposable liners, so will have to get some in, still plenty of time because I'm anticipating quite a long wait for them to dry, seeing as the sun isn't shining here and I've got to use the airer :waiting:

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:09 pm

Yeah, the drying is another downside to the design of the Ultra. There are much faster drying nappies. :D

My avatar
x2008xbabyx
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby x2008xbabyx » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:38 pm

It is taking a while, but we do have 25 of them, so assuming they are okay to use, I'll have enough there so that there are always some dry and ready. There were in a lovely clean condition, but I was told they needed stripping, so I used the dishwasher tablet method.

I'm definitely going to consider real nappies from the start if I'm lucky enough to fall pregnant again. My little man took two years of unexplained infertility, a chemical pregnancy and a 3 month break before I caught, and then I had pre-eclampsia, resulting in a induced premature labour at 33 weeks, and a 4-week stay in SCBU before we got him home. He was 4lb exactly at birth, and 5lb 10oz when he came home, so too small for cloth nappies anyway!

My avatar
x2008xbabyx
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby x2008xbabyx » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:28 pm

Just thought I'd come and update you. The kushies are working lovely, although we are currently boosting them with a couple of layers of muslin (waiting on an ebay seller for bamboo boosters and fleece liners), but it all seems to be going well so far. However, we have switched to Night time pull-ups at bedtime as these seem to be absorbent enough, and as Corin is quite quiet in the mornings (until he gets hungry), we don't always hear him in his room, and some mornings we find he has already had a poo, so its better than risking him getting nappy rash from the urine mixing with the poo.

I'm also hoping it'll help with potty training, and that he'll be more aware he's wet, but time will tell I guess

My avatar
ZVBC
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ZVBC » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:50 am

Good to hear that it is all going well for you!

My avatar
x2008xbabyx
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby x2008xbabyx » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:59 pm

ZVBC wrote:Good to hear that it is all going well for you!

Thanks, its going fab, and I have also fallen completely in love with the ebay cheapies aio's too, have found a seller that sells them with two microfibre boosters and including postage they are working out at just under £5. Only snag is that they are from HK or China, so postage does take a while, but they are much better than the Kushies in the respect that they dry overnight on a radiator airer, so I'll be getting a few more as and when I can afford to, and then most likely stashing them away once my little man has PT in case baby no 2 ever comes along :D

Return to AIO's (All in ones)