hf1

One Day

My avatar
Cadiva
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

One Day

Postby Cadiva » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:12 pm

Absolutely fabulous book by David Nicholls, who also wrote Starter for Ten which was turned into a film with James McAvoy.
One Day is written over a 20 year near enough period and concerns the actions of two people on a single day each year. Stunning book, wonderfully written and, if you're in your late 30s or early 40s like me, the time period this book is set it, it will bring back memories of growing up in Thatcher's Britain and all the news and drama surrounding that time.

It's a kind of anti-love story with a twist and has been made into a film starring Anne Hathaway which is due out some time this year apparently.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Day-David-N ... 0340896965

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: One Day

Postby weefywoo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:22 pm

I adored this book!!
Well worth a read ladies :wine:

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Someone else recommended this book to me too. I bought it for DH for his birthday so will have a read of it when he's finished it.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:45 pm

I've read it too - seems most people I know have read it based on recommendation as you say, because the main characters graduate a year or so after I did. It really resonated with me! particularly the "Largin' it" type tv show stuff......not sure if the film will live up to it but I hear Dex is set to be a hunk :drool:

My avatar
Mungo
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Mungo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:39 pm

Ooh I loved this book, can't wait for the film, saw a trailer for it yesterday :-)

My avatar
nic1
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby nic1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:08 pm

Only just seen this. It sounds good so i'm going to check local libraries tomorrow to see if they have a copy.

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:35 pm

After seeing this post I decided to pinch it off my DH and read it over the last couple of days. OMG I thought it was fab and pretty much un-put-downable!!!!! I took Nell to the park today and bad mummy that I am kept ignoring her so I could finish reading it :oops:

Thoroughly recommend it - it was weirdly familiar in so many ways, like being a student and all the nobby things you say and do thinking you're so grown up right up to being 40 and how your life has changed and evolved. And I cried :shock: -I'm a hard-nosed b!tch an never cry!
Last edited by becsom on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Cadiva
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Cadiva » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:10 pm

becsom wrote:After seeing this post I decided to pinch it off my DH and read it over the last couple of days. OMG I thought it was fab and pretty much un-put-downable!!!!! I took Nell to the park today and bad mummy that I am kept ignoring her so I could finish reading it :oops:

Thoroughly recommend it - it was weirdly familiar in so many ways, like being a student and all the nobby things you say and do thinking you're so grown up right up to being 40 and how you're life has changed and evolved. And I cried :shock: -I'm a hard-nosed b!tch an never cry!

I cried like a baby! I was so shocked and, I think, because for me it brought up so many memories of having a similar type of relationship from school (not that it lasted 20 years but it was one of those bump into them every year etc and still have a flutter and a fling).

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:13 am

Sounds fab - I'll have to try to get it. Do you think it will work as well for me given I grew up in Oz not the UK? I know some books dont' matter and others dont' translate if that makes sense!

becsom wrote:And I cried :shock: -I'm a hard-nosed b!tch an never cry!

Oh gawd I'm the opposite - regularly sob my way through books and films :oops: :oops: even songs since I've had the kids!!! Rarely cry in real like though so much be my way of releasing :giggle: :giggle:

Next

Return to Member recommended books