hf1

Is there a way to make hair dye fade quicker?

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Is there a way to make hair dye fade quicker?

Postby Hannahboo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:09 pm

I always used to have red hair before I had Darcy and loved it, but now I remember why I had it all stripped out!!! I went red again a couple of months ago and am having to re dye every few weeks as within 2 weeks it has faded so much that the ends are now more of a chestnut colour but the top near the roots is still really red, its driving me mad!!! I love my hair red and it always feels 'me' but I cant cope with dying it so frequently as my hair is starting to get really dry now :(

So is there any way of getting the redder bits near to my roots to fade quicker so that the colour difference isnt so obvious? I have used various home hair dye strippers in the past but would rather not have to do all of that at the moment, especially whilst :bf: I am tempted just to put a dark brown dye over the top for now and see what happens :-?

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Is there a way to make hair dye fade quicker?

Postby northernruth » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:29 pm

Simple answer: no.

I have had this problem and it is better now but it has been a long haul. Basically the ends of your hair are too porous due to being bleached over and over again (through the use of the developer in the hair dye).

I had highlights when I first went copper, and also the hairdresser used a normal amount of developer. I had terrible fade at the ends (I don't mind it fading out evenly but I didn't want the faded ends).

Our solution was to use much less developer and to ditch the highlights. After about a year the overly bleached ends of my hair are now much better condition and thefade is more even.

Not sure what you can do about this if you are doing it yourself at home other than hammer the conditioning treatments, have a really good trim and see if you can find a semi permanent colour that does the trick for you (so you're not overdoing the developer). You'll have made it worse doing it every couple of weeks.

Look at Revlon Colourball colours, or Wella Colour Fresh, both of which are semis - they need doing more often but won't damage the hair. I have shoulder lengthe hair and the Colour Fresh lasts me 3 applications.

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:59 pm

I thought that would be the case, but thought I would ask :giggle: I think I will do a few semi permanents until the colour change isnt so obvious. I have given my hair a deep condition yesterday and will do it again every few days to try and get the condition back to the way it was. If I cant get the colour to blend with other dyes I think I will just have to strip it and start again and just deep condition as much as possible to make sure it doesn't completely dry out! I really wish there was a way of keeping my hair red without all this hassle as I really love it red and always makes me feel more like me than I do with my natural colour, if that makes sense :-?

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:19 pm

I know what you mean, I was on the brink of giving up but it's been so much better recently. And I agree, I went red at the age of 43 and wish I'd done it 20 years earlier!!

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:21 pm

Have you tried a red henna dye? I think Lush do one. It might not be as permanent, that's the only thing, but it will probably be gentler on your hair.

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:28 pm

I've never tried henna Mareth, but shall look into it :thumbsup:

My avatar
labbiefan
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby labbiefan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:48 am

I thought there was a product to remove hair dye available from places like boots. Might be worth looking at their website- although I may be wrong x

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:04 pm

Head and shoulders ;) makes it less red within a few washes ;)

Return to Forest Fashionistas