hf1

Hand cream for VERY dry hands?

My avatar
mangajude
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Hand cream for VERY dry hands?

Postby mangajude » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:20 pm

Anything with shea or coca butter is fab as long as your not allergic!

I have super dry hands, I put this down to being an nurse and constantly washing them, I recently bought a really intense moisterieser from lush called Tiny hands, it works really well at repairing poorly hands!

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:23 pm

My dh gets chapped and cracked hands and he keeps a pot of Lush Handy Gurugu in the car, masses of shea butter and not too greasy. I love the not overly girly smell too

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:55 pm

Thanks everyone. I think I will have to change the soap and just live with the kids wasting half it :giggle: I wear gloves to wash up and when I'm out etc but all the nappy changing, food prep and general day to day chores really have an effect on my poor hands.

I tried the Neutrogena stuff last year and it stung so much it made me want to pull my hands off!!!!! :|

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:00 pm

What soap do you use? I'm fine with the handmade bar soaps I buy, it's the bog standard liquid soaps (usually on offer in the supermarket stuff) that cracks my hands.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:04 pm

ladybird wrote:What soap do you use? I'm fine with the handmade bar soaps I buy, it's the bog standard liquid soaps (usually on offer in the supermarket stuff) that cracks my hands.

Yeah, its the liquid soaps that we use but the kids struggle with bars.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:06 pm

My Dad always used to swear by the neutrogena but it's no use if it stings (he used to get cracked thumbs ouch!)

When I get badly sore skin I use Liz Earle balm (think it's for lips and cuticles but it's like a solid oil) overnight with gloves on. Or try some of that cracked heel stuff if that doesn't sting too much. The other thing I use if I get very chapped knuckles in the winter months is Savlon cream, again with cotton gloves - it really works once they've gone beyond dry to that sore stage.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:12 pm

My BIL is a surgeon so is scrubbing his hands every day, my Mum commented on how lovely and smooth they are and it is the norwegien stuff he uses. Aveno is a really good gentle moisturizer as well x

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:14 pm

Oh and if they're just flaky but not too sore then Crabtree and Evelyn is good too - they do a gardeners range that includes a salt and oil hand scrub which leaves them lovely and soft.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:19 pm

TBH when my fingers get so cracked they bleed and hurt to bend I find the only thing that works is Eumovate steroid ointment overnight under a plaster - but the rest of the time provided I'm careful about soaps I don't need much hand-cream... I really do find that hand-soaps and babywipes are the worst culprits though and I have to be super careful to wear gloves when cleaning...

PreviousNext

Return to Forest Fashionistas