hf1

Hand cream for VERY dry hands?

My avatar
mummy_mi
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Hand cream for VERY dry hands?

Postby mummy_mi » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:39 pm

Body Shops hemp hand protector is pretty good or so my mum says, I just use Burts Bee's stuff but my hands are just a bit dry not to the point of cracking. But in winter I do use Body Shops body butters on my hands, really rich and buttery.

But whatever you use, definitely give your hands some love overnight and use cream with cotton gloves over the top, I do my feet as well and they're lovely and soft in the morning!

HTH xx

My avatar
ponygirl
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ponygirl » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:43 pm

When I used to work outdoors my hands got really bad, a friend gave me some nails inc handcream and that cleared the dryness and cracks really quickly.

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:12 pm

I think part of it depends on the soap you use as well as the moisturiser. I moisturise usually every time I wash my hands, but when I used my friends ecover hand soap at her house, found I didn't need to.

I usually use Lush Helping Hands or one of the Body Shop body butters (I ignore the L'Oreal/Nestle thing in favour of the nice smells :| ) Really didn't get on with the hemp Body Shop one though, think there is something in it that irritates my skin, it really stung! Glad I tried it in the shop before actually buying it! Some of the Soap and Glory stuff is good too, I have a big tube of the body butter which is good for hands, the tubes of hand stuff are far too small when I use it so often.

When my hands crack in the winter I put a little bit of Lansinoh on it before I go to bed and find that helps to heal them up quicker. (started trying that because the tube said it was for 'cracked skin')

Hope you find something that works for you, I know the pain (although my skin is being quite good at the moment thankfully!)

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:23 pm

Have you tried those gloves that you put on after your cream & wear them overnight? My hands get exactly like yours and whilst I found no cream inparticular that is 'magic', the gloves work a treat on hands & feet!

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:30 pm

Im using aveeno atm and that is fab. It isnt cheep but really moisturising. Ive made my own whipped shea butter hand cream in the past and that was FAB. need to make some more actually as it was pretty cheep to make. I buy unrefined shea butter from ebay, then melt in the microwave on 30second bursts. leave to cool and then whip with a hand whisk till its light and fluffy and stands up in stiff peaks. Then pop into jars.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:50 pm

Caroline wrote:I might have to use some of my CJ's cream.

That would be the best thing to use Caroline. Something that is completely 100% natural. Any natural product that says "naturally derived" in the ingredients list, you need to avoid too. Also, change the soap you are using to one that is 100% natural. I know Dr.Bronners is a bit costly but you will see a huge difference in your hands, I promise. My bff has very very dry hands. I gave her my liquid soap when I first made it to test (my soap is very very similar to Dr.Bronners) & within a couple of days she noticed a huge difference. She now only uses my soap on her hands.

My avatar
mummy_mi
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby mummy_mi » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:04 pm

red_dwarf wrote:Im using aveeno atm and that is fab. It isnt cheep but really moisturising. Ive made my own whipped shea butter hand cream in the past and that was FAB. need to make some more actually as it was pretty cheep to make. I buy unrefined shea butter from ebay, then melt in the microwave on 30second bursts. leave to cool and then whip with a hand whisk till its light and fluffy and stands up in stiff peaks. Then pop into jars.

Now that sounds like a fabby idea for an Xmas gift for my mum!! Where do you find the jars?

Oh and sorry to hijack the thread a bit! xx

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:09 pm

Burts Bees coconut foot creme is fantastic for hands. I get really bad cracked heels, dh gets really badly cracked hands, he puts the cream on my feet and into his hands at the same time (bonus!). It really is fantastic stuff. We've tried all of the above before, the only thing I'd agree with would be being careful what soap you use - I can't use certain liquid soaps or I get really dry hands very fast.

My avatar
queen bee
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby queen bee » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:12 pm

I love Body Shop Shea body butter for my dry hands - much more effective than hand cream - and it smells delicious.

PreviousNext

Return to Forest Fashionistas