hf1

Hand cream for VERY dry hands?

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Hand cream for VERY dry hands?

Postby Caroline » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:44 pm

littlesez wrote:What did you end up trying last year ? The african black soap is devine !

I can't remember but I know it didn't work. I've only ever tried black soap in bars so I'll see what the liquid is like.

@JabberJabber I bought some fingerless gloves (with the flaps on to make them into mittens) from Sainsburys for £3.50 this week. That way, when I lose one, I won't feel too bad!

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby LynniferT » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:58 pm

I suffered from really bad dry skin on my hands til a work collague suggested atrixo (comes in either a blue or green tub) a little goes a long way and it sinks in quickly too :)

I tried cj's lotion and it was too greasy, i also tried a barrier cream called magic gloves (i think?) and that was pants too... Atrixo is fab for me :)

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:10 pm

We make our own blend of shea butter, coconut oil & avocado butter. The kids use it all over their bodies, I put it in V's (afro) hair as a scalp rub and moisturiser, Dh likes it on his hands too. I get it all from Akoma and then V and I melt them altogether over a bain-marie. We experimented with Cocoa butter instead for shea butter this time but it's not quite so moisturising but easier to apply.

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:15 pm

Jojoba is great too, closest oil to skins natural oil. Maybe melt together with sunset's mix and you have a great all over butter. Maybe whip it together so its smoother and not so hard iyswim.

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:18 pm

Really good thread - my hands are awful at the moment, cracked and sore and Neutrogena hasn't done anything so far! Will have a look at other options that have been recommended :)

My avatar
Connie_334
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Connie_334 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:28 pm

I find Nivea Q10 age defying hand cream the best "off the shelf".

Think I need to get some new soap just for me though to get me through the winter.

Excellent thread ladies :thumbsup:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:49 am

mine got really bad when I started work nursing earlier this year. The neutrogena stuff usually works but I had been over using the alcohol cleaner and they were in such a state :( it wasn't helping. Then one night I sat in front of the tv and kept rubbing in paw paw ointment and that turned the corner for me. I also got the Aveena stuff and thought that was fantastic and I've not had a problem since!

I'm loving all you mama's making your own - that is amazing! :love:

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:53 pm

Oh I see lots of options i need to try. I usually go to bed with olive oil rubbed in but well it gets messy :giggle:
Need to try some homemade ideas when we have moved, any advise recipes etc are welcome for my dry cracky eczema skin ;)

Previous

Return to Forest Fashionistas