hf1

Dyeing PUL wraps

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Dyeing PUL wraps

Postby Juli » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:03 pm

I've read some threads on this topic and I know that normal fabric dye won't work on PUL wraps. I just wondered what would happen if I threw some white PUL wraps in with a load of nappies I'm dyeing with Dylon Machine Dye. Would they take up any dye at all? Would parts of them absorb more dye than others? Or would they come out looking exactly as before? Has anyone tried this?

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Dyeing PUL wraps

Postby aimeet » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:41 pm

I have sucessfuly dyed bambino mio wraps but they are cotton laminate, the pul is underneath so the top is quite fabricy. I don't know how sucessful it would be on any other kind of pul though. hth

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:28 pm

I accidentally did it with a TB and it didn't go well :roll:

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby katyav » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:22 pm

Just PUL? Haven't done it but doubt it'd work very well! If it's PUL + a layer of fabric then maybe..

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:58 am

KimmyM wrote:I accidentally did it with a TB and it didn't go well :roll:

What exactly happened though? What did they look like?

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:30 pm

So, I bought some iDye Poly, because it says that you can use it to dye polyester in the washing machine. Unfortunately, when you read the instructions properly it actually says you can use the washing machine to dye polyester and natural fibre mixes, it doesn't mention just polyester. For that it seems to say to use the stove top method. But that is a real pain. I would have to get a different pot, because you're not supposed to use pots you also use for food. And then I'm really not sure about simmering PUL for an hour. Surely that's not good for it, given that the care instructions say to not wash it hotter than 60 degrees.

Has anyone tried this? Have you got any advice?

Oh, I should say that I'm planning to dye white Motherease Rikki Wraps purple.

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:35 am

Soooo... As nobody responded with any advice or experience (presumably because nobody else has tried it) I thought I would just go ahead and try it in the washing machine. I put the dye packet and also the dye intensifier that came with it into the washing machine and ran a 60 degree synthetics wash. I paused the machine lots of times to give the covers plenty of time to take up the dye.

I just threw in all the old used white covers I have, but also two new small Rikki Wraps, which I was quite worried about. It wouldn't have been the end of the world if the others had been ruined, but I didn't really want to ruin the new Rikki wraps.

Of course it was the Rikki wraps that gave me the most trouble. I noticed after a while that they were splotchy with lots of little white gaps that hadn't taken up the dye. Then it occurred to me that I probably should have prewashed them :doh: So I took them out and washed them by hand and then put them back in. This improved things but they have certainly dyed the most unevenly.

Now for the results! I have to say it turned out better than I expected, but I would have been happier if the outsides had dyed as well as the insides.

Anyway, here are the photos:

First, the inners -

And the outers -

On the top (l-r): Tots Wrap, Little Lamb wrap, Motherease Rikki wrap
On the bottomw (l-r): One Life wrap, Imse Vimse wrap, Motherease Airflow wrap

I did three of the tots wraps (one turned out quite splotchy on the outside, maybe it had something spilled on it once that left a residue), three LL wraps, two Rikki wraps, also a lollipop wraps (which as far as I can tell is nearly identical to the One Life wrap). But I thought one photo of each is enough :wink: I have also taken individual photos if anyone wants to see anything in more detail.

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:37 am

I just thought I'd put the URLs for the pictures in so you can have a closer look because the pictures in the post are a bit small.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/julifish2012/6470862933/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/julifish2012/6470863541/lightbox/

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:29 pm

I will probably want to sell some of these, if anyone is interested...

Next

Return to Wraps (pilchers)