hf1

Greenhouse or Polytunnel?

My avatar
Rebeccar75
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Greenhouse or Polytunnel?

Postby Rebeccar75 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:28 pm

Hi. I live in mid-wales in a fairly breezy location - nearly at the top of a hill. I don't know whether I should go for a greenhouse or a polytunnel....

Any advice??

Rebecca

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Greenhouse or Polytunnel?

Postby Dora » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:30 pm

Well if you go for the polytunnel route fasten it very very well! I'm from windy Cardiff so I should know...x

My avatar
Rebeccar75
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Rebeccar75 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:34 pm

Dora wrote:Well if you go for the polytunnel route fasten it very very well! I'm from windy Cardiff so I should know...x

Hi, do you know how strong the plastic is? I wonder whether it would hold up to winds without ripping... :wave:

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:03 pm

I have both but cant really give you advice regarding a windy area, both of mine are in a sheltered garden.
All i would say is that to get a well built greenhouse that will stand up to a windy site you may need it to have a brick base ( a bit like a conservatory)and that adds a serious extra cost.
To be honest unless you are going to grow exotics,very tender crops or where you need to heat in the winter, i would go for a polytunnel,easy to clean, cheaper to build and you do get a lot more useable space for your money.
There is not a lot you cant grow in a polytunnel, they do get very warm on a summers day and are actually really fun, you just need to find a way of stopping your furry friends from using it as a loo.
Site the tunnel at right angles to the wind.

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby girlinleeds » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:11 pm

my friends grrenhouse ended up a street away one very windy night :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:26 pm

Rebeccar75 wrote:
Dora wrote:Well if you go for the polytunnel route fasten it very very well! I'm from windy Cardiff so I should know...x

Hi, do you know how strong the plastic is? I wonder whether it would hold up to winds without ripping... :wave:

You'd have to shop around but I think most of the plastic itself is strong enough-its just the getting it fastened bit you have to watch. Totally agree with @tracedw you'll get loads of space with the poly tunnel although it does take up more ground iyswim. And they're loads and loads cheaper too!

If its an allotment you may have to ask permission either way x

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Many greenhouses these days are actually made from thin plastic, not glass. We had to go out on the middle of a storm last year and strip all the 'glass' from ours as it was made moving across the garden. I'd go for a polytunnel if I had somewhere to put it, as if it does need replacing, it's a lot cheaper to replace sheet plastic film than custom molded plastic windows or custom cut glass.

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Sun May 06, 2012 10:41 am

All the glass started falling out of our greenhouse on a windy night and smashing on the path so we took it down. In the greenhouse's defence, the wood holding the glass in was a bit rotten...

Return to The Veggie Patch