hf1

Square foot gardening

My avatar
Grrushka
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Square foot gardening

Postby Grrushka » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:58 pm

I've got one last bed to do and after reading an article in some gardening magazine I'm tempted to try this idea:) We've got 2 more beds and In the first one I've got carrots, onions, leeks, garlic and radishes. In the second one peas and french beans but put them in too early so frost got them, obviously :oops: ... In the paper they had it already planned out with: beans, beetroots, radishes, lettuce, mustard, and courgettes, oh and carrots.

I already have carrots so what can I grow instead? I'm away this weekend so will sow next weekend. What else could be suitable? Something fast growing not too tall and tasty :widesmile: Also it's quite tricky with crop rotation as they say once you've got an empty grid you have to replace it with something else.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Square foot gardening

Postby northernruth » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:56 pm

Are you doing courgettes? very easy and prolific. I also like purple sprouting broccoli and butternut squash (or any squash, you can grow some really unusual ones eg king james? I think it's called)

I tend to like growing stuff that's expensive to buy at the supermarket or that goes off quickly once you've bought it eg lettuce.

For root veg what about parsnips, great for winter soup nomnom

My avatar
Grrushka
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Grrushka » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:45 pm

northernruth wrote:Are you doing courgettes? very easy and prolific. I also like purple sprouting broccoli and butternut squash (or any squash, you can grow some really unusual ones eg king james? I think it's called)

I tend to like growing stuff that's expensive to buy at the supermarket or that goes off quickly once you've bought it eg lettuce.

For root veg what about parsnips, great for winter soup nomnom

Isn't it too late to sow parsnips? I'd love to have some sprouting broccoli but have no experience of that, can you grow them outside from seeds or you need to get a seedlings?

I hope the weather gets a bit better so I can crack on with my veg patch next week, I'll have loads of weeding after all that raining :shock:

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:02 pm

How about some romanesco

if you can get hold of seeds, you can plan this now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/4586.shtml

My avatar
Bessandra
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Bessandra » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:25 pm

Well I'm growing pak choi, squash, courgettes, peas (for peas and for pea shoots as they're delish!), broad and runner beans, sunflowers (for Jonah really), spinach, potatoes, tomatoes and onions...
Salad leaves and rocket are great. Outdoor cucumber?

Loads you can do but that's a valid point above about prices at the shops or short use by dates. Def bear that in mind when seed shopping!

My avatar
Grrushka
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Grrushka » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:54 am

The romanesco looks great but I have never tried it before, I'd love cucumbers but they take up a lot of space and the idea is you only have 25 cm square for each veg. i've got peas already and can't wait for it, it is so yummy fresh! :D

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:59 am

Grrushka wrote:Isn't it too late to sow parsnips? I'd love to have some sprouting broccoli but have no experience of that, can you grow them outside from seeds or you need to get a seedlings?

I have just planted some seeds for broccoli, I think you start them off indoors and then plant them out

Return to The Veggie Patch