hf1

My very sad veg patch.

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

My very sad veg patch.

Postby tracedw » Sat May 05, 2012 3:55 pm

Its been neglected for 3 yrs now, its time to get out here again, i thought if i posted pics it may embarrass me enough to sort it out this year.
my strawberry patch, all weeds now and my polytunnel(the dogs toilet :oops: )
making a start to clear the weeds
the raspberry and rhubarb patch(with the septic tank underneath) :loopy:
and a very grubby greenhouse
Its all overgrown and /or manky so FC i sort it out soon.
Hopefully in a month or so i can post pics of it all pristine with crops growing :loopy:

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: My very sad veg patch.

Postby bekhi1983 » Sat May 05, 2012 4:27 pm

Does this make you feel any better? :oops: In my defence we've owned it since January. The greenhouse we acquired recently from freecycle. I think tramps must have lived here previously, the bricks, slabs and broken crockery/ mirrors, rusty cans etc have been dug out of the area under the green house. :evil: The patches in the grass was just black from the previous occupants burning rubbish. Think I'll be having to hire the biggest skip I can find. I would quite happily swap you for your weeds :giggle:

My avatar
rachyrach
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachyrach » Sat May 05, 2012 4:31 pm

You can do it! Veg patches do take a lot of work don't they, mine was bad enough this year after a slim year last year as I was just too tired from pregnancy/ newborn to keep up with it all. Best of luck and can't wait for the after shots.
We just had rhubarb and custard for tea, after picking 7kgs of the stuff!!!

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Sat May 05, 2012 4:41 pm

I know, i haven't really been out there since i got pregnant with ds3,so 4 years ago , its so labour intensive and our soil is heavy clay, i would at least like to be able to grow all my own herbs and salad this year, and if i clear half the patch i would like to put in a crop of leeks, they do well in this soil and dont need to go in until much later in the year.
@bekhi1983 its fab you got it free, all the work and clearing will be worth it, what do you intend to grow in it?

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sat May 05, 2012 5:01 pm

Trace, I am deeply deeply envious of that wonderful space, regardless of the condition!!

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Sat May 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Frances wrote:Trace, I am deeply deeply envious of that wonderful space, regardless of the condition!!
Thanks, i sometimes forget how lucky i am to have all this space, but with 3 acres i often get so overwhelmed by the amount of work to do that i just stay in, shut the doors and try to ignore it :loopy:

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby bekhi1983 » Sat May 05, 2012 5:15 pm

Dh will be 'trying' to grow tomatoes and peppers. I'll be using it to start my salads, French beans and spring onions.. Whilst we prep a veg patch which will be in the area in front of the green house. I really want to try growing apricots in it too and start off some Strawberry plants although I'm not sure we're these will be moved to yet. We need to sit down and come up with an annual plan.

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Sat May 05, 2012 5:23 pm

@bekhi1983 good plan, tomatoes are easy enough but i found that i could never get my peppers to ripen , i like them red and even in our polytunnel they never turned.
Salads are so easy,try cut and come again salad leaves, rocket, basil, flat leaf parsley and coriander are also really yummy too .
Cant wait to see pics of it all up and running.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sat May 05, 2012 6:02 pm

We inherited a very overgrown veggie patch with this house. Hired a rotavator a few weeks ago for the weekend & it gave up the ghost towards the end of the patch. We thought it was ok because it was a huge patch & we wouldn't need all that space but we've already filled the cleared space with just potatoes. We are desperately trying to get through the rest of it with a garden fork & spade :roll: Hoping to grow potatoes, onions, carrots, cabbages, broccoli (both types), parsnips, peas, spring onions, salad leaves, peppers & tomatoes. Peppers & tomatoes off to a bad start as the cat peed all over them :x

Next

Return to The Veggie Patch