hf1

Small Plot

My avatar
daisydoodles
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Small Plot

Postby daisydoodles » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:07 am

We've just applied for a small 'city' plot which is basically a raised bed in a community garden and it's likely that we'll get it within the next few weeks :yahoo:
.... Sooooo!!!

Is there anything that we can plant this time of year?? We have to use the plot immediately or we'll lose it and I'd much prefer to be growing veggies than flowers but I have no idea of the exact plot size yet!

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Small Plot

Postby laceybat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:48 am

lettuce and may be some run beans if you get plants not seads not sure what elas there is that would grow this late

My avatar
daisydoodles
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby daisydoodles » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:31 am

Thanks, I've just been and bought some dwarf bean plants in the hope that we'll get something from them, I have the herbs from my window box that I can put in and my neighbour says I could put in some spring onions so a few lettuces as well would probably be enough for me to deal with to start off! :D

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:43 am

There is plenty to carry on sowing now!
so now.....
Beetroot early and main crop till early August,
Chinese Cabbane till the end of August,
Calabrese - till the end of the month, but wouldn't do any harm this year till August,
Carrots till the end of July ...
Chicory till the end of July,
Fennel till August,
Pole and Bush Beans till August..
Pak Choi till end of August
Parsely till end of August,
Peas - end of August
Radish .. end of August,
Spinish end of August.
Swiss Chard till the end of August,
Turnips till the end of August..

End of August onwards
Winter type ( Japenese) Salad Onions.. early type June to October
Winter lettuce
Spring cabbage - eating next May :)
Mustard greens,
Quick heading broccoli
Endives

Up to the end of September...

Winter Spinach,
Coriander, Chervil and Chives - under cloches
Oriental Vegetables like Rubi - lots of pretty salad leaves basically ;)Radish – winter varieties (10 – 12 weeks)
Spring Cabbage
Winter Lettuce
Pak Choi
Swiss Chard
Turnip
Rapini
Quick heading calabrese
Endive
Winter Type – Japanese Spring Onions

October ...

Garlics... sow...October and November..
Shallots and onion sets
Broad beans ( overwintering the for a early batch in ready to eat in March)
Overwinter Peas - sow till November
Spring onions.. will be a bit slower bit great gap filler in the beds
Winter cauliflower - sow till November..
More spinach, endives.. all the winter leaves still.. under cloches to protect them
And last chance for Peas, onion sets, shallots and broad beans...

December..

wash pots.. not much weeding required for a couple of months.. just hoe round the plants overwintering...

Jan... nope.. still a bit cold.. but you can start a few things in propagators under grow lights i.e. peppers etc.. and other plants with a known long season.. and plants you want to clone from.. I plant all my mother tomato plants and tomatilloes in Jan.. the Mother plants never reach the soil.. the clones do.. and I am still cloning tomato plants now in July for a last batch to chuck in hydroponics in the polytunnel so they will be supplying us till late november with a small heater in the tunnel.. I still have to ripen a few at home.. but they still produce masses.

A vegetable garden never stops.. there are only a couple of months in the entire year where there is literally nothing to sow! Remember to sow in succession.. don't just sow a row of beetroot and leave it.. sow a row.. a week later.. sow another .. etc.. as they grow.. take all the babies in-between the other plants as you want to eat them .. leavening the other plants to grow bigger.. keep taking and *spacing them out to give you bigger and bigger plants.. as then you take.. pop a seed in... even if its getting late on in the year.. a small overturned squash bottle over the plants.. you'll still get a few more.. they may give you baby beets etc.. but its better than bother mid December!!!

Seeds can be got anywhere.. try to get as many NON F1 seeds as poss. that way you can start saving your seeds.. instead of buying them. doing this year after year.. collecting the seeds form the healthiest plants and fruits.. will let your plants and seeds evolve to the climate they are in, instead of a generic seed good in most places but never the best ;) Have fun!!!

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:45 am

Oh and don't forget to get a few potatoes out of the cupboard.. the ones already with little growing bumps on and stick them in a bucket of compost/dirt now for xmas pots ;) Oh and .. remember.. don't feed plants..feed the soil ;)

Oh one more thing.. if anyone you know is growing tomatoes right now.. ask them for the suckers.. you can plant those still now.. they might want a bit of covering for the last few week.. but maybe not this year.. it's a weird year. Look up tomato sucker planting on google.. they are most growers waste .. but some nice plants for you :)

If you can get yourself a bit of wood.. and some piping and plastic sheeting.. do something like for the winter.. it will be your own little mini polytunnel ;) You can start things going earlier in the season.. grow more in the winter too :)

or buy something like these...

or use empty bottles.. :)

My avatar
Bessandra
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Bessandra » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:10 pm

Ems - wow! You should write a book!

My avatar
daisydoodles
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby daisydoodles » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:27 pm

Wow Ems... Thank you!!

We'll only have a small bed in the city plot, I think something around 15 feet long, but as soon as we find a house we like I intend to have a fair sized veggie patch as well so I've got plenty to work with now

And Bessandra is right, you should write a book... I ordered one called veg growing month by month this morning and I bet it doesn't have half the stuff in it you've just told me! :hug:

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:42 pm

wow that is great as i neaver know what to plant when i only have a raised bed and some huge pots to plant mine in now as Ryan play house is going up soon :roll:

Return to The Veggie Patch