Growing potatoes?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Growing potatoes?

Postby clothmama » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:24 am

I just found a bag of potato sprouts that I bought a while ago, they have little green plants starting to grow out of them so clearly they need to go in the ground! Any tips on how to do it - depth, distance apart etc?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Growing potatoes?

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:45 am

Don't quote me in thus but I don't think there are any rules to planting potatoes expect don't plant them in your garden cos they will take over. Ant you supposed to plant them I'm a grow bag?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:02 am

gilbertandmartha wrote:Don't quote me in thus but I don't think there are any rules to planting potatoes expect don't plant them in your garden cos they will take over. Ant you supposed to plant them I'm a grow bag?

Well I've got a bed that was here when we got here that has a tree in it but other than that is empty and I thought I'd use that as then it isn't bothering other stuff! I hadn't thought of a bag but not sure I can be bothered with that!!

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:49 am

Mine have always grown more out of a bag. I find, I always miss one even if it's in a bag. I have no idea about official spacing and plant roughly 30cm apart if unhelped by children, if helped..

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Postby Little Pants » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:48 am

I actually bro mine in old tyres. Fill a tyre with compost (I get the recycled green waste from our council which is really cheap, and add chicken manure pellets in abundance) Put the potatoes in about 6" apart - you can get about 9 in a standard car tyre) when the tyre's half full with compost, and then fill the tyre up. When they start to come through, add another tyre on top, and fill it with compost, and then repeat, as the sprouts pop through. I only had enough tyres to do 3 high this year, but will try 4 next.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:24 am

We grow then in a bin, put a layer of soil in, then the seed potatoes, and only cover a few inches, then as the plants grow, keep covering them up again until the bin is full of soil. Then you harvest once the plants start to die off, or before if you want new potatoes.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:23 pm

Little Pants wrote:I actually bro mine in old tyres. Fill a tyre with compost (I get the recycled green waste from our council which is really cheap, and add chicken manure pellets in abundance) Put the potatoes in about 6" apart - you can get about 9 in a standard car tyre) when the tyre's half full with compost, and then fill the tyre up. When they start to come through, add another tyre on top, and fill it with compost, and then repeat, as the sprouts pop through. I only had enough tyres to do 3 high this year, but will try 4 next.

I have done this Today! So excited :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:07 am

We didn't build up enough I don't think, this is what we got from our random plantings!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:43 am

How long did it take Tory?

Next

Return to The Veggie Patch