hf1

Allotment

My avatar
amba
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Allotment

Postby amba » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:29 am

I was thinking of renting out an allotment, it's my boys 9th birthday on Thursday and he loves gardening! So as a pressent to him I was going to rent one so we can have some mummy and son time, as he has servere autism there isn't alot he likes!
What would be the easiest thing for a child to grow? I was thinking potatoes to start with? Any suggestions are welcome :)

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Allotment

Postby ems101 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:34 am

Potatoes are easy. We grew cucumbers with v little effort!

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kim » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:48 am

We had an allotment pre-kids, and they hard work. I would get a few fruit bushes as well. If possible talk to other allotment holders and ask what grows best in the soil. If they are anything like ours they will be giving you surplus plants in no time.

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:39 pm

We did potatoes in bags this year in our garden and they were fab. We also grew cucumber, strawberries and tomatoes this year.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:27 am

I think that is a really really fantastic idea!!! Potatoes are easy (even we managed them :hohoho: :hohoho: ) however I think for kids you need to have some more instant gratification things as well that he can see growing and perhaps harvest a lot quicker than pots too!

Probably not a lot of things over the winter other than underground things though? Although I'm really not sure :oops: I'll be needing to do A LOT of learning and research when we get to France and I need to grow veg :giggle:

Keep us updated if you manage to get one @amba - is there a long waiting list?

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:36 am

I love the idea but lack the time!

Some good advice here https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=707
and a link further down that page on starting an allotment.

My avatar
amba
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby amba » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:16 am

@clothmama no there are plots available at the moment, they were advertised in a local news leaflet. Maybe put a little green house on the plot, we could do herbs

@sim I will be checking that link out for sure :)

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kim » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:58 am

Just remembered, the last year we had our allotment we grew our own pumpkins for Halloween. That's a real fun thing to do with kids and once the plants get established they cover a lot of ground so keep weeds down.

Return to The Veggie Patch