hf1

So my new year resolution.

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

So my new year resolution.

Postby Dora » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:00 pm

...is my allotment. It's so HARD to do with kids in tow but I must as I don't want to lose the allotment and the work I've put in it so far.

anyone have any easy tips for allotments and also what should I do at this time of year? any key tasks? x

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: So my new year resolution.

Postby Kim » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:19 pm

I had to give mine up when I became a mum. It is hard isnt it. Have you got fruit or just veg?

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:24 pm

urgh-definitely :hug: It's tougher because of the time constraints with school run, putting dinner on and just generally being a bit knac and needing sofa time! I have fruit trees so it'll be veg advice really. atm there's nothing-maybe some remnants of old beans and onions. I've not been able to do anything for a good month or so x

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kim » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:38 pm

@Dora I know you posted this ages ago but I think I have a month by month allotment book somewhere, if I can find it do you want it for the cost of postage?

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby confusinglady » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:37 pm

How's it going @dora?
I uncovered part of the veg patch at our new house last week. May start another thread on here as to progress.

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:27 pm

hello!

@Kim thank you for asking! that book offer is so nice-I'd love to take you on that :love: xx

well...we've done some clearing and some laying down of a path but no planting fun stuff yet. @confusinglady I saw the pics-looks like you can get going relatively easily. what will you do first? my allotment doesn't look like it's ever been loved tbh-hard work ahead. hope the house is going well :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:19 pm

@Dora we need some pics! I bet the paths feel like you are getting somewhere as they are something tangible (unlike boring weeding etc :giggle: which is never ending and doesn't feel like you are getting on an moving ahead!)

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby confusinglady » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:05 pm

Dora wrote:hello!

@Kim thank you for asking! that book offer is so nice-I'd love to take you on that :love: xx

well...we've done some clearing and some laying down of a path but no planting fun stuff yet. @confusinglady I saw the pics-looks like you can get going relatively easily. what will you do first? my allotment doesn't look like it's ever been loved tbh-hard work ahead. hope the house is going well :)

Not sure just yet. The space is not that big so I might steal a bit of flower bed from next to it too. We had an allotment we shared with our neighbours about 4/5 years ago and we did corn which was fun for the kids so I m tempted with that again, and definitely potatoes but they both take up lots of space.... But we would eat them. The previous owner also left the greenhouse ( although we managed to smash a panel a few days ago when something fell on it :() so want to do cucumber, tomatoes, peppers in there. Never had a green house though so a bit of a learning curve!
There are some self seeded strawberries here so I might leave a few of those ( they d gone a bit wild! )

I need to dig out my books to find out what to plant when as I m sure I could be doing some greenhouse stuff once panel fixed and the random rubbish that's dumped in there is shifted!

@dora hopefully you ll find some lovely soil underneath :) at our allotment it had been unloved and left to go to its own devices. It was hard work clearing it but the soil was good once we got going. :thumbsup:

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kim » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:00 am

Ok, I will dig it out and weight it etc, might be early next week as I have a busy half term.

Kim

Next

Return to The Veggie Patch