hf1

Gardening game - ID these plants! New 15/10/17

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Gardening game - ID these plants! New Sunday.

Postby confusinglady » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:28 pm

Had a Google and the top one looks like a walnut?
The second one looks to be a similar leaf shape to strawberries, any flowers?
I can't really see the bottom one.

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:20 am

Oh yeah @confusinglady I hadn't even looked at the leaves, it can't be a fig tree but after googling would agree walnut tree. How exciting! I didn't even know walnuts came in green pod thingy's!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:11 am

clothsister wrote:Oh yeah @confusinglady I hadn't even looked at the leaves, it can't be a fig tree but after googling would agree walnut tree. How exciting! I didn't even know walnuts came in green pod thingy's!

Me neither! Exciting indeed!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:33 am

clothsister wrote:Top one fig I think x

Nope, we have three of those I know those ones!

confusinglady wrote:Had a Google and the top one looks like a walnut?

Ahhhhh it may well be, this is walnut area and I have at least one other in the garden but it is huuuuuuge where this tree is a nice little one so I thought it must have been a fruit tree!

clothsister wrote:I didn't even know walnuts came in green pod thingy's!
@clothsister that is how they are when they are first growing then I seem to remember later int he season that outer layer kid of peels off and you have the walnut underneath (we had one on the terrace at our first house if you remember?)

confusinglady wrote:The second one looks to be a similar leaf shape to strawberries, any flowers?

I don't think so, I'll go and have another look today, there seems to be old branches under the foliage. I'm paranoid that everything is Japanese knot weed now :panic: but I'm pretty sure it isn't, the leaves are different!

confusinglady wrote:I can't really see the bottom one.

I'll try to get a better picture later @confusinglady :D

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:07 am

@clothmama could the second one be cinquefoil? A a weed that looks a bitlike strawberries?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:39 am

confusinglady wrote:@clothmama could the second one be cinquefoil? A a weed that looks a bitlike strawberries?

Yep just had a google and looks like it could be that, although a weed some places is also a plant so not sure to keep or rip.

And this morning I've woken to discover a mole has been at one of my sections of garden that actually has lawn :gah: I thought this gardening bussiness was supposed to be fun :giggle: :giggle:

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:34 am

clothmama wrote:
confusinglady wrote:@clothmama could the second one be cinquefoil? A a weed that looks a bitlike strawberries?

Yep just had a google and looks like it could be that, although a weed some places is also a plant so not sure to keep or rip.

And this morning I've woken to discover a mole has been at one of my sections of garden that actually has lawn :gah: I thought this gardening bussiness was supposed to be fun :giggle: :giggle:

:giggle:
If it's in an ok place and will provide a bit of colour then keep it. Save on the work ;)
I ve left a few nettles that I can't reach and some buttercups in the border at the mo whilst I do other bits :thumbsup:
Oh no , I ve luckily not got any moles!

My avatar
busymummy
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Gardening game - identify this plant! New

Postby busymummy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:19 pm

clothmama wrote:No I doubt it. Been reading different options, looks like you just have to keep at it in as many ways as you can!

@busymummy how did you end up treating it?

4 years of industrial strength weedkiller that I got from a farmer, digging up the rootballs and putting into rubble bags and spraying with yet MORE weedkiller, leaving for a year or so before throwing away ( - it can't be composted as it grows through everything (including concrete)!! Also as soon as a shoot pops up in the spring we pulled it out. It really is a hideous problem, however apparently it tastes like rhubarb!!

Poor you...
X

My avatar
mamavan2
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mamavan2 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:20 pm

The third picture looks a bit like our white lilac.

PreviousNext

Return to The Veggie Patch