Winter flowers for pots?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Winter flowers for pots?

Postby clothmama » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:32 pm

Another dumb question from an antipodean! I want to put a pot of flowers in our window at the front to cheer up the front of the barn / house. Everyone still has geraniums and summer flowers doing well but there is not much point me putting them in this late in the season. What can I grow to give some winter colour? Preferably hot pink or purple.

TIA :D

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Winter flowers for pots?

Postby ems101 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:12 pm

I think cyclamen should work

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:23 pm

ems101 wrote:I think cyclamen should work

I'm very confused, I thought they were inside plants but then read they are OK outside. I have just put one on my back terrace, full morning sun and then in shade most of the afternoon but there was a flower fallen off today (only put it out 1 or 2 days ago) so have got worried that it isn't OK? I'd love Cyclamen out the front too, there I have no sun in the morning then afternoon sun for a few hours, would that be OK for them @ems101 ?

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:28 pm

Eek, I don't know sorry, I just remember my sil planting one for us in September a few years back and it was fine outside!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:31 am

Just a little update, I ended up getting some cyclamens for the front and back of the house and they have flowered all winter giving me lovely shades of hot pink to cheer up the outside through the dismal months. The back is east and the front is west and they coped with both very well. We had temps down to about -6 and they have also had some quite hot days as well. Will definitely be getting them again next winter and if anyone is thinking about it I'd recommend them :)

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:27 pm

Mine were OK, but not that good!! Dafs and crocus are popping up now :yahoo:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:56 am

ems101 wrote:Mine were OK, but not that good!! Dafs and crocus are popping up now :yahoo:

I have 1 yellow (not daf - not sure what they are called) that has come out. Lots of iris green bits. I also planted some tiny purple bulbs - not sure what they are - a couple have come up. I forgot to plant the daffs before I went to the UK and have just put them in a pot and hoping they'll come out :giggle: Next year I need to be more organised and put more in!

Return to The Veggie Patch