hf1

Composters (as in those of you that compost!)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Composters (as in those of you that compost!)

Postby clothmama » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:56 am

I just have a couple of questions as I'm totally new to composting!

What do you keep the compost in in your kitchen? I'm currently using the very unattractive option of a couple of old plastic mushroom boxes! I'd love something nicer, preferably with a lid but not sure what! I'll obivously be having chicken scraps too so probably need 2 of whatever I get. Any ideas?

How do you turn the compost that is in a bin? I keep reading that I'm supposed to but haven't been doing so :oops: and it seems like it is nigh on impossible to try to get a fork in there to do so. We also have some big compost piles which we've not been good at turning either but they have just sat there and done their thing over the summer and I'm guessing by spring we'll have some nice compost! I have tried to turn the biggest a bit but it is so hard to get into the centre. Any tips gratefully received!

I'm not sure who composts but giving it a guess with a few tags!

@autumnalgirl @confusinglady @Allie @mamavan2

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Composters (as in those of you that compost!)

Postby autumnalgirl » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:04 am

I do indeed compost. My bits in the kitchen are currently sat in an un glamorous takeaway container! I keep looking at a ceramic one on Amazon, but not likely to get round to buying it for a while. I can get a fork into mine so turn it over when I remember. The chickens are very naughty at trying to get into the compost and flick it all over the place looking for worms and other tasty treats!!!

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:30 pm

The stuff awaiting composting in the kitchen is kept in a very unattractive grey plastic lidded bin provided free by our council. I keep intending to replace it with a vintage style tin to match the rest of our vintage accessories but haven't managed it yet as there is always something else to buy.

Oue compost in the garden is in a large black bin and we do just about manage to get a fork in it to turn it but it's not easy as the bin is getting rather full since the chickens arrived.

My avatar
mamavan2
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mamavan2 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:16 pm

Sorry no help here, no composters here.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:23 am

autumnalgirl wrote:My bits in the kitchen are currently sat in an un glamorous takeaway container!

Allie wrote:is kept in a very unattractive grey plastic lidded bin

Thanks girls! Glad it isn't just me then :hohoho: :hohoho: I also have visions of a pretty tin or ceramic one, maybe I'll ask MIL for Christmas!
mamavan2 wrote:Sorry no help here, no composters here.

I just presumed you would have @mamavan2 as your chicken pics look like you have a big garden and apparently chook poo is fabulous for the compost! Maybe you need to get one!

My avatar
mamavan2
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mamavan2 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:19 am

No real gardeners here :wave: , we just trim down the plants and mow the grass. We do (lazy) natural gardening :giggle: .

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:24 am

@clothmama
We collect compost stuff but it goes to the council collection here at the mo. Our compost heap was the one we inherited and it was , like most things here, very unloved or looked after :( . It's a massive big pile and I have no idea how long most of the stuff has been there!
I did manage to move the bottom of the fence holding it up on one side and dug out some of the good stuff from the bottom. Sorry not much help!

The stuff in the kitchen I keep in a red compost tin thingy with a lid :thumbsup:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:43 am

Trying to find a pretty one to put on my Christmas list from MIL! I'm thinking cream tin but I'd want it to have a plastic liner to easily wash, sick of the flys :puke:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:54 am

I've added this one to my list:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/23198/-Cream-Compost-Bin

I like that it has carbon filters for smells (especially in the summer!)

Next

Return to The Veggie Patch