Ornamental grasses - help!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Ornamental grasses - help!

Postby clothmama » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:22 am

I have a quite attractive ornamental grass in my garden which over winter has completely died off to dry straw stuff. Does anyone know if I'm supposed to cut it back? Never owned such a thing!

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Ornamental grasses - help!

Postby sim » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:11 pm

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:24 pm

It depends which type of grass. Anything that looked like it had died off over winter I chopped down and left the bottom bits in spring and it all sprang up again. Anything that had green bits left and dried up brown leaves, I chopped the brown ones off.
They all seem to have survived! :hohoho:
I have soooooo much to do in my garden it's overwhelming at times. I don't want to ruin anything :drama:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:00 pm

That is perfect - thanks @sim - it is a deciduous and I need to cut it to ground level in the spring!

confusinglady wrote:I have soooooo much to do in my garden it's overwhelming at times. I don't want to ruin anything :drama:

@confusinglady this is exactly how I feel - particularly with the old and not looked after fruit trees!!!!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:35 pm

clothmama wrote:

That is perfect - thanks @sim - it is a deciduous and I need to cut it to ground level in the spring!

confusinglady wrote:I have soooooo much to do in my garden it's overwhelming at times. I don't want to ruin anything :drama:

@confusinglady this is exactly how I feel - particularly with the old and not looked after fruit trees!!!!

Exactly! Luckily I ve got 2 plums and have had plums before but I also have a pear which I ve not had before so have no clue. It only produced one pear this year so maybe it's poorly. A vine also sprouted out of a dead brown thing that I cut back last year :hohoho: . It produced some lovely grapes in a big fat heap as I ran out of time and enthusiasm to tie it up to anything and the lady before obviously removed the structure and cut it down before she sold the house.
This years project :thumbsup:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:08 am

We have some that didn't give us fruit that we aren't even sure what they are! We do have a plum (I think) - so when / how do I prume that @confusinglady ? We also have peaches and one or two we dont' know what they are (apples or pears?) we didnt' see fruit so they may have been an early variety and fruited before we got here or they are broken!

Return to The Veggie Patch