Veggie patch 2016 - 16/07 progress pics pg 8

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Veggie patch 2016 plans!

Postby autumnalgirl » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:37 am

clothmama wrote:
confusinglady wrote:I blame you for my late night planning my veg patch :hohoho:

:hohoho: :hohoho: sorry!!

Do you guys actually draw out and plan where everything is going to go @confusinglady @Aeseldyr @autumnalgirl ?

I bought some magazines of what to do this month too which I haven't read yet I'll try to find time to sit this weekend!

:hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:
No! You must be confusing me with an organised person! I plant wherever there is relevant space!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:59 am

autumnalgirl wrote::hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:
No! You must be confusing me with an organised person! I plant wherever there is relevant space!

:hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: sorry how silly of me I must have got muddled :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: I think because my 'veggie patch' is currently covered in grass I'm really starting from scratch so thinking I should be organised and draw a picture :giggle:

Anyone got any tips for starting a veggie patch? I had advice to cover the area with leaves to help kill of the grass / weeds now and then in a few weeks it will be easier to get rid of it so I did that when it was nice on Thursday. We do have a proper rotovater to dig the area over too.

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:52 pm

I have 3 big raised beds (?) one is filled with garlic one is going to have the potatoes and the last one with cabbage and whatever I find :) our garden is not that big so limited space

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:15 pm

Just found out I can still plant garlic in the spring :yahoo: :yahoo: The magazine with the potager (veggie patch) special is fab, I just sat for 10 minutes and had a look at it :widesmile: tells me all the veg when to plant, when to harvest, what to plant with, what to rotate with, and how much compost to put in while I'm planting! Really fab and simple to have an easy book to refer to :yahoo:

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:14 pm

That sounds fab @clothmama :thumbsup:
i drew a little plan last year as I was starting from fresh I thought it would be good to plant in a way that I could achieve a bit of crop rotation.
So I drew year 1 and year 2. I then took a pic to refer to, but only seem to have a pic of year 1 :doh: so I can't remember my plan!!!
I redid it last night.
I only have a small veggie plot so I just did a few bits in rows. Then once the spinach and lettuce had finished I filled with broccoli which are still in.
I forgot to take a pic of it in full growth :(

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:44 pm

How did you prepare the earth when you made them or did you make raised beds @confusinglady ? We need a pic of your drawing you did last night :giggle:

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:10 pm

clothmama wrote:How did you prepare the earth when you made them or did you make raised beds @confusinglady ? We need a pic of your drawing you did last night :giggle:

I knew you'd ask to see it! :giggle:

The patch was an overgrown veg patch when we moved in, it was just covered in weeds and we could see strawberries. So I cleared it all and found some little raised beds. I just reused them but topped them up with compost from the bottom of the overgrown compost heap we inherited too :giggle:

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:16 pm

Image Image

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:19 pm

I m thinking of trying the three sisters thing I ve read about, about growing sweet corn, beans and squash in the same bit. Anyone tried it?

PreviousNext

Return to The Veggie Patch