Mmm garlic! Fail!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Mmm garlic! Fail!

Postby clothmama » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:43 am

I spent time yesterday evening breaking up 3 huge blubs of garlic - I have 50 cloves to plant out.
I'm so excited - it is a gorgeous pink variety called Lautrec - and expensive to buy so I'm really hoping it grows for me! Has anyone else grown garlic in the spring?

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Mmm garlic!

Postby Aeseldyr » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:50 pm

For planting in the spring get them in as soon as ground is not frozen - it should work. Reason for planting in the fall is bigger more flavorful garlics

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Mmm garlic! Fail!

Postby clothmama » Fri May 06, 2016 8:23 pm

I thought after 6 weeks there should be some sign of life from the garlic and there isn't so I decided to dig one up and see what was happening - NOTHING :cry: :-x :gaah: :drama: ! Seriously the garlic in my garlic basket in the kitchen have more signs of life! I kind of knew it was a risk getting food garlic rather than proper stuff but hoped it would work! I'm going to leave them just in case in but plant other stuff as I'm pretty sure they aren't going to come up now!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Fri May 06, 2016 9:10 pm

I m not sure what the weather has been like with you but it's been pretty cold here ( up until this week) especially still at night. Some of my things in the ground haven't done anything yet :(

Fingers crossed with it warming up things will start to sprout.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri May 06, 2016 9:19 pm

It has been pretty mild here (although saying that we did have frosts last week so maybe not all that!), maybe I'll give them another week or 2 and if nothing comes up I'm going to plant something else over them!

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Sat May 07, 2016 5:00 am

It took a good while before they started having any shoots above ground here. I think it was just afte Christmas. So even set in the fall and the correct ones it took maybe 4 months before there where any signs. They should be ready for harvest in juli :) I can take a pic of what they look like now later.
My guess is that its way too soon for any signs even if its mild above ground it might still be pretty cold under, so patience :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat May 07, 2016 7:59 am

:giggle: :giggle: OK OK I'll give the poor things a chance :giggle: :giggle:

Return to The Veggie Patch