hf1

Started! Woo hoo!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Started! Woo hoo!

Postby confusinglady » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:25 pm

I thought I d never get to plant anything but I eventually got some of the plants I d ear marked to sow in March in on ....... 1st April... So I nearly made it!

The beds weren't nearly as prepared as I would have liked but I just needed to get things planted as I was hoping to use this space to add some more broccoli and others for the winter.

Then out of no where the wood pigeons have spotted my broccoli that's in its prime and have been nibbling :( they haven't touched it ( that I know off) over the winter or later summer last year. So I ve had to put up this temporary net contraption :giggle:

It was all I could do with what I had. Anyway I've seen said pigeon approaching today and the net seemed to sufficiently freak it out so fingers crossed but I m not holding my breath! I need a bird scarer, my cat is not working.

So far I have spinach in (grew that lay year and it did well), cauliflower and cabbage seeds planted.- I ve never grown them and have netted from the beginning to avoid cabbage whites which loved my broccoli last year.

Today I planted pepper, tomato, sweet corn and cucumber seeds in the green house which will stay in the greenhouse.
I wanted to get some lettuce seeds in outside but the bed's not ready.

As you can also see the front bed is due to have strawberries but tge strawberries which are there are surrounded by weeds and then a few onions from last year appeared a few months ago, I m going to see what they do!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Started! Woo hoo!

Postby clothmama » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:35 pm

I'm impressed! I think I may have bird issues later :panic: love your net, where did you get it? I have quite a list of stuff to go in in March! I'm undecided about broccoli, we eat 1 kg a week of it so planting 6 seems pointless!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:50 pm

clothmama wrote:I'm impressed! I think I may have bird issues later :panic: love your net, where did you get it? I have quite a list of stuff to go in in March! I'm undecided about broccoli, we eat 1 kg a week of it so planting 6 seems pointless!

The little net thingys were from my little shop to aldi ;) .

IVe done sprouting broccoli, so cut a bit when you need it not a whole head and it just keeps sprouting. We've been nibbling at it since jan but it's been supplementing shop bought as we eat quite a bit too.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:45 am

I just need a bigger garden LOL! I haven't seen the sprouting stuff here, I might have to order from the UK or see if I can get soem seedlings. I'm hoping to do a scarecrow (seen some very cute tutorials!) @confusinglady that might help with your issue and be fun with the kids?

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:36 am

clothmama wrote:I just need a bigger garden LOL! I haven't seen the sprouting stuff here, I might have to order from the UK or see if I can get soem seedlings. I'm hoping to do a scarecrow (seen some very cute tutorials!) @confusinglady that might help with your issue and be fun with the kids?

I ll have to have a look. The netting seems to be working so far. Knowing these pigeons they would just perch on the scarecrow :giggle: one often sits on my folded washing line ( twirly one).
The sprouting broccoli is just so tall, it seems to grow more like sprouts than broccoli !

With you worrying about what needs to go in when @clothmama I spent an evening this week writing down the months and what needs to go in when so I have a quick to refer to piece of paper. I got so fed up of reading the seed packets over and over! I then started ( not finished!) a list of all the plants and the key details I need to remember or know- so how to sow the seeds, spacing, when to thin, when to harvest.

It really helped when trying to remember what to do when in the greenhouse the other day etc.
I ve not done it before but think I ll keep it up.
Might be worth you doing with a glass of wine in hand like me ;)
I kinda felt like I was actually doing something when sitting on my bum resting and it was dark so I couldn't go out there.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:10 am

Oooo just had a look at bird scarers and it appears recycled old CDs are popular. I m sure we've got loads of those, so there's another project. I m sure hubby won't mind me utilising some more of the cycle race stakes in the veggie patch :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:28 pm

Ohhhh yes I'd seen about the CDs too! The other thing I've seen which I thought would be very cute is some bunting - just simple torn up fabric knotted onto string / yarn / fishing line - different width and fabrics - looks fantastic or normal bunting and string it around - the flapping in the wind keeps them away too apparently! I think I'll do this even if it doesn't work :giggle: I'll have to show you how I've Rémy proofed my garlic :giggle:

confusinglady wrote:Might be worth you doing with a glass of wine in hand like me ;)
I kinda felt like I was actually doing something when sitting on my bum resting and it was dark so I couldn't go out there.

That is what I need to do, I did bring the seeds in yesterday to do it but then they got cleared back outside in the clear up :roll: I have started a document which I'm just leaving open on my desktop - well 2 actually - on is the months and one is an alphabetical list of plants that I own / am planting and as I research about them I'm putting in the info I need (pretty much what you've said). I realised I'd been doing lots of research for months and months and then forgetting what I'd read and having to do it again :doh:

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:46 pm

clothmama wrote:Ohhhh yes I'd seen about the CDs too! The other thing I've seen which I thought would be very cute is some bunting - just simple torn up fabric knotted onto string / yarn / fishing line - different width and fabrics - looks fantastic or normal bunting and string it around - the flapping in the wind keeps them away too apparently! I think I'll do this even if it doesn't work :giggle: I'll have to show you how I've Rémy proofed my garlic :giggle:

confusinglady wrote:Might be worth you doing with a glass of wine in hand like me ;)

That is what I need to do, I did bring the seeds in yesterday to do it but then they got cleared back outside in the clear up :roll: I have started a document which I'm just leaving open on my desktop - well 2 actually - on is the months and one is an alphabetical list of plants that I own / am planting and as I research about them I'm putting in the info I need (pretty much what you've said). I realised I'd been doing lots of research for months and months and then forgetting what I'd read and having to do it again :doh:

That's exactly what I'd been doing. For some mad reason I thought the spacing distance I need to thin the cabbages to would magically stay in my head :hohoho: ...... 5 secs later ... Erm what did I come upstairs for ?! .... That's more like it!
I ve never had so many veggies growing at the same time before and want to really make good use of space with planting other things once these come out.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:59 pm

confusinglady wrote:I ve never had so many veggies growing at the same time before and want to really make good use of space with planting other things once these come out.

See I know I can (long growing season here) and should be doing this but I feel so overwhelmed just getting to this point that I'm not sure what I'm doing and havent' even attempted to calculate that stuff - maybe I can just wing it later in the season? Or maybe all the stuff I've 'scrapped' in my head (cauliflour, brocolli etc) can go in later? I'll have to have a look and maybe writing it all down will help me understand what I can do!

Next

Return to The Veggie Patch