Autumn harvest 2016!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Autumn harvest 2016!

Postby clothmama » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:27 am

I feel like the autumn harvest has started already now I'm collecting nuts and have them out drying everywhere! I even have 2 big pumpkins curing on my back terrace!

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Autumn harvest 2016!

Postby autumnalgirl » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:47 am

Wow!

We have so far had one tomato!

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:48 am

Oh and one raspberry '

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:19 am

I'll have to get some more pics of the summer harvest and update that thread. Last year we had literally 1 bowl of hazelnuts but now we already have 3 big boxes out drying and more coming down with every gust of wind! Walnuts also wont' be long starting, I think last year we collected from mid September onwards for about a month.

I have 2 huge pumpkins that I've picked but also lots of little ones starting, including quite a few butternuts. I can see lots of nutty / butternutty meals this autumn and winter!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:37 am

Wow you ll be going nuts! :hohoho:

Still in summer harvest here, tomatoes started to ripen up in green house at the end of last week so we ve had a few. We ve had cucumber for most of the summer which have been lovely. We ve got a little collection of runner beans and a steady supply of courgettes. It's not been the best year in terms of growing stuff though. So many pests eating everything. I m usually over run with courgettes but snails keep eating 2/3 of the plants, the green courgettes mostly.
My original squash got eaten so I grew some more but a bit late so I may not get any to grow before it gets too cold. Have kept some in the greenhouse though to see if that helps.
Also have a few peppers growing :wide smile: never successfully grown them before.
We've had some potatoes, carrots, lettuce. Only a handful planted due to space. Carrots just for fun really. The cabbages and cauli been nibbled even with the nets :( but might get 1 to survive enough to eat.
Oh and the onions are nearly ready. Plums are in full swing but we do still get the grubs on one tree. The other tree also seems to have a damson on the front of it. I think the damson was planted on wild plum stock and both have been allowed to grow by accident. So I'd like to make jam/ jelly just need to buy the sugar. We have a few apples on some sorry looking fallen down small trees that hadn't been staked up by previous owner. Need sorting out. a few children visiting and my little people decided to pick a few 'helping' a couple of weeks ago :( think it may have helped thin them.
Oh and some grapes on the vine, but will they ever ripen?!
I have some broccoli and cauli in greenhouse getting ready to plant out when onions finished.
Wow that's a long list of things! Oops!

Return to The Veggie Patch