Beans?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Beans?

Postby clothmama » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:47 am

Could somebody please explain to me what the difference is between French beans and runner beans in really simple language - I'm so confused :loopy: :loopy: and don't know which ones are which and what I'm supposed to be starting undercover now (french apparently but nto sure which they are!). i have tried to read online but clearly not getting it as am still clueless :doh: :doh: :doh:

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Beans?

Postby emmavmorgan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:27 pm

French beans are round runner beans are flat, Or French beans like croissants and coffee and runner beans only like quinoa and water?

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Beans?

Postby confusinglady » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:18 pm

emmavmorgan wrote:French beans are round runner beans are flat, Or French beans like croissants and coffee and runner beans only like quinoa and water?

:hohoho: I read that and was like :lookround: what? ... Then I got it! :hohoho:

Erm French beans are what I would call green beans , they are 3-4 inches long and you usually just chop the ends off and serve/ eat like that. As Emma says they're long round pods.
Runner beans are longer and flatter pods. I chop the beans up to steam them and serve like that. In my head French bean plants don't grow as tall and are more bush like than crazy climbing runner beans but that might just be in my head! I've just planted runner beans under cover in my greenhouse, to plant out later. My seed packet says to plant outside directly from May.

Return to The Veggie Patch