2019 veggie patch!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

2019 veggie patch!

Postby clothmama » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:26 am

Well here we go again :giggle: :giggle: I haven't yet done a plan but have started my seeds as of yesterday. Going to try to keep a record here of what I'm doing!

26 February:
Planted the following seeds:
  • Butternut
  • Rainbow swiss chard (although then read they they rather be directly planted - never mind :giggle: )
  • Rocket
  • Pick and come again lettuce
  • Chamomile ((athemis nobilis not the German - will plant that later direct)
  • Hollyhocks (majorette - a short and hardy variety - only grow to 3-4ft)
  • My beloved cosmos :love: :love:

Was devastated last year as didn't plant many Cosmos in time so only one came up in the picking flower bed and ended up having to buy one plant for €2 :shock: :shock: (the pack of seeds is 30c at lidls and they are soooo easy!) was all a bit pathetic! The year before that I had fresh cut flowers all summer long from the cosmos and others that I'd planted, Would love to do that again!

I'm going to try to be more organised this year, use more weed plastic cover as that just made the most enourmous difference for me in the tomato bed last year, and apparently if you leave it down for a year or 2 it actually gets rid of many of the really bad weeds like bindweed underneath. I'll also try to install the automatic watering system that we bought loads of from lidls to try to make that job easier. I need to be working smarter not harder and my 2 biggest issues are weeds and watering! Closely followed by the naughty chickens or course :giggle: :giggle:

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: 2019 veggie patch!

Postby confusinglady » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:03 pm

You inspired me once again @clothmama ! March has snuck up so fast and I hadn't even thought about my plans until you posted this! I cleared the greenhouse last week during half term whilst I had a few moments. I lost a few panes of glass over the winter in the strong winds :(
It's supposed to be windy here next week so I ll wait before I replace them.
I m going to plant some seeds tomorrow and perhaps put them on the window sil in the utility so I don't forget them and they scorch like last year :roll:
Gone through my seeds tonight and needs quite a few replacements as I finished lots off last year.
My greenhouse crops always seem to do well so I m wondering if I extend my crop by using the utility window sil for chill, peppers and aubergines all season. It doesn't get used for anything else except a cat seat :giggle:

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:01 am

I really wish I had the first clue about gardening, I would love a veg garden. Every year I say I'll have a go and I never do. I look forward to seeing yours growing

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:36 pm

0_Lisa_0 wrote:I really wish I had the first clue about gardening, I would love a veg garden. Every year I say I'll have a go and I never do. I look forward to seeing yours growing

@0_Lisa_0 why don't you buy one of those cheap rasied beds - I see them here for about €20-30. They are normally 1.2 x 1.2m and that would be enough to grow a couple of tomatoes, cucumbers and a courgette. Those things are really productive and easy. You can just put some weed deterrer (cardboard is my prefered) down, wet it and fill the bed with some compost so would have to be doing any digging / ground prep etc for your first year. Do it - :yahoo: you'll love it and your bigs are just the age to get involved too!

Somethign like this would be good to get you started to see if you like it without costing too much, and if you dont' you can change it into a sandpit for Zach next year!!
https://www.homebase.co.uk/raised-bed-1 ... 4m_p773453

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:05 pm

Oh, I'm going save that and try pick one up. There's a space at the end of our grass that would just fit one of those! Maybe this is my year to make a start.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:04 pm

0_Lisa_0 wrote:Oh, I'm going save that and try pick one up. There's a space at the end of our grass that would just fit one of those! Maybe this is my year to make a start.

Good on you :yahoo: ! Have a bit of a look around, I know all the supermarkets / diy shops / garden centres are doing lots of spring specials here and if they happen to have something at Aldi or Lidl you'll probably get better value maybe a bit higher / better size. That one is only 14cm deep so if you can find something a bit deeper (I've seen a lot at 30cm) that would be better as it will hold water better for you, have more soil, which will mean you can plant things more intensively.

Starting small is a great way to go - ask any questions you have to get going! I'd probably suggest buying seedlings rather than trying to start seeds. You can interplant lettuces and replace them as needed - you'll probably be surprised how much you can get from this, things like chives don't take much space either. I'd maybe go for smaller varieties like cherry tomatoes when you are limited for space as they'll be ready quicker and you'll be able to do pick and come again with them.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:09 pm

Or is your dh is in any way handy he could build one - all you need is 6 or 8 stakes that you hammer into the ground then your 4 planks of wood (30cm high) that you nail into the stakes (one in each corner and a central one on the long edges). The benifit of this is that you can measure it to fit the space you have exactly and the wood is likely to be thicker / better quality and will last longer and would probably be cheaper. @0_Lisa_0

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:46 pm

I d agree with @clothmama just start small and give it a go. It tastes all the sweeter knowing you've grown them.
I used to watch my dad grow veg etc but the best way to learn is having a try. You ll find what works for you. A top tip is to grow something you like and not be swayed by loving looking cabbage if you don't even like to eat the stuff :giggle:

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:44 pm

Thanks, I'll have a look around and measure the space we have. Kf I can get hubby to build something I might go for 2 smaller ones so i can get down the middle. We use lots of lettuce and cucumber and carrots so maybe I'll look into those to start us off. We've got a garden centre down the road that it is run by a small charity so j might see if they have anything.

Next

Return to The Veggie Patch