2019 veggie patch!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: 2019 veggie patch!

Postby clothmama » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:27 pm

0_Lisa_0 wrote:Thanks, I'll have a look around and measure the space we have. Kf I can get hubby to build something I might go for 2 smaller ones so i can get down the middle. We use lots of lettuce and cucumber and carrots so maybe I'll look into those to start us off. We've got a garden centre down the road that it is run by a small charity so j might see if they have anything.

Sounds good! If you can get to both long sides and it isn't more than 2 or 3 metres long <i wouldn't bother with a middle path - waste of space and they are thin enough you can easily reach from both sides. I also wouldn't bother too much with carrots - they are so cheap to buy and I havent' yet had any success growing them :oops: ! TBH I've read good things about growing them in a big plastic garbage bin - I'd think better for you to try that methos - they need deep soil. The other things sound great though - should be able to get a good crop of them. Cuc's dont' take too much space - you could probably fit 4 along with other stuff to give you lots of them all summer. That garden centre sounds great and will be able to give you lots of advice for you soil / climate! Good luck @0_Lisa_0

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:37 am

I've never managed to grow carrots either, no matter what I try. Potatoes are easy, I normally grow them by accident as well as design! :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:28 pm

So all my seedlings I tried to start were a disaster - I don't think I wet it down enough to start with, I think I put too much vermiculite in my mix as well and then they were on the window sill and some were starting to come up and the chickens jumped up and knocked everything to the ground :x :x :x

I got hot pink geraniums for the front and 3 hydrangeas all potted up today :yahoo: :yahoo: They aren't in place until tomorrow as we are due low temps tonight (2c but you never know could be a frost) so have them along the warm wall at the back and I'll put them where they are going tomorrow as it seems it is the last of the cold overnights for at least the next couple of weeks. Might be a flower year rather than a veg year :hohoho:

J saved his favorite chillis and potted them and brought them in for the winter and they have all survived and are doing well so we'll get them out in the ground later in the week.

The big blue / green pots are actually bigger than they look in the pic - hoping they are big enough at least for this year. I know they all look small compared to the pots (the geranium 2 on the stairs are half the size of the others but you can't tell from the pic) but hoping they'll grow really well with lots of space and end up being lovely big plants!

Image Image

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:01 pm

autumnalgirl wrote:I've never managed to grow carrots either, no matter what I try. Potatoes are easy, I normally grow them by accident as well as design! :giggle:

Yup, loads of potatoes coming up that I didn't plant!

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:02 pm

Love the colour of those pots Tory! The plants will look so good in those!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:18 am

autumnalgirl wrote:Love the colour of those pots Tory! The plants will look so good in those!

I agree, that's one on my favourite colours!
Such a pain when seeds don't come up. I ve got a million chillis and a few peppers, I wanted more peppers than chillis though really. We don't eat a lot of chillis. Maybe I ll give them away :giggle:

Previous

Return to The Veggie Patch