hf1

2020 veggie patch!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: 2020 veggie patch!

Postby confusinglady » Tue May 26, 2020 7:00 pm

Oh no @clothmama that’s so annoying for you!!!
I planted my courgettes and squash out yesterday and then it was so hot they drooped. I had to sheiks then got the direct sun with a wind break and sheet :giggle: they seem better today but I was worried I’d killed them after all that growing!!!!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:23 am

Thank goodness for search and daily chat I was able to divine that I planted my potatoes in early April and add to my list!
29/01 :
- coriander
-dill
-asparagus
-rainbow swiss chard
- other stuff that hasnt' come up (old seeds)
- rocket
-Cosmos

Mid March:
- Planted 12 lettuce seedlings
- Planted out rocket
- J planted some chilli seeds

26/3:
Planted seeds for:
- 2 varieties of cucumber
- Butternut (from self collected seeds from 2 years ago so not sure how they will work but they seemed healthy enough looking)

28/3:
More seeds started:
- 3 varieties of lettuce
- 6 more butternuts (from neighbours dad)
- 6 Courgette - Black Beauty
- spring onions
- French marigolds

Early April:
Planted potatoes - 90 day variety so ready for early July

Mid April:
-Beetroot (4 per module as per Charles Dowding method)
-tomatoes (3 varieties - 2 cherry and one bigger)
-zinnias

Early May:
Planted seedlings for tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers

25/5:
Planted out:
Tomato and cucumber and 1 courgette seedlings

01/06:
6 melons
1 courgette (must buy more!)
1 sweet potato (trial)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:20 pm

Just wanted to share this link and keep for my own future reference, an excellent article and video on pruning cucumbers:
https://www.allotment-garden.org/vegeta ... cucumbers/

I was still confused even after Nicola trying to help explain it to me :hohoho: :hohoho: @confusinglady

I have lost 2 of my cucumber plants so now have 3. Do you think that is enough? Only R and I eat them.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:00 pm

I only have 3 too would rather more but mine didn’t germinate and it’s a bit late for us here I think, unless I buy some plants.... oh and I have no more room :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:06 pm

confusinglady wrote:I only have 3 too would rather more but mine didn’t germinate and it’s a bit late for us here I think, unless I buy some plants.... oh and I have no more room :giggle:

I need to look it up then for both of us, how many cucumber plants per person! I'm also interested in making my own 'pickles' but not sure if I need a different variety?? Do you know @confusinglady ?

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:40 am

clothmama wrote:
confusinglady wrote:I only have 3 too would rather more but mine didn’t germinate and it’s a bit late for us here I think, unless I buy some plants.... oh and I have no more room :giggle:

I need to look it up then for both of us, how many cucumber plants per person! I'm also interested in making my own 'pickles' but not sure if I need a different variety?? Do you know @confusinglady ?

No sorry :(
I think I’ve had about 3-4 before in my other years and we manage to eat them all fresh. We have salad with every meal in the summer.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:15 am

confusinglady wrote:I think I’ve had about 3-4 before in my other years and we manage to eat them all fresh. We have salad with every meal in the summer.

Sounds like 3 should be enough then for R and I from what you said, and just looked it up and read 1 plant / person so I won't worry about replacing my 2 killed ones.

Previous

Return to The Veggie Patch